Technical Director - Content Understanding
23 days ago
Every day, tens of millions of people come to Roblox to explore, create, play, learn, and connect with friends in 3D immersive digital experiences– all created by our global community of developers and creators.
At Roblox, we’re building the tools and platform that empower our community to bring any experience that they can imagine to life. Our vision is to reimagine the way people come together, from anywhere in the world, and on any device. We’re on a mission to connect a billion people with optimism and civility, and looking for amazing talent to help us get there.
A career at Roblox means you’ll be working to shape the future of human interaction, solving unique technical challenges at scale, and helping to create safer, more civil shared experiences for everyone.
As a Technical Director for image or video understanding, you'll build deep learning models and algorithms to solve visual understanding problems across Roblox. The mission of the applied machine learning team is to build advanced machine learning solutions across Roblox. The team is working on advanced recommendation systems and image/video understanding models. With daily active users growing at a record rate, we are looking for experienced machine learning experts who are passionate about designing and building deep learning solutions to power Roblox's products.
- Design and implement deep learning based visual understanding solutions that address problems across Roblox.
- Author specs for new features and improvements
- Collaborate with other teams within Roblox to make sure we are building products with community and company first mindset.
- Balance researching new technologies with a practical approach to accomplish the research efforts into the Roblox products
- Work with the industry and communities where applicable and be ambassador for Roblox.
- Work in our San Mateo office.
- Report to the engineering leader of Personalization.
- 10+ year experience designing and building deep learning solutions to solve content understanding, visual understanding, or computer vision problems. Break down product requirements into iterative deliverable stages. Experience in building scalable content understanding or computer vision models and launching them into production for millions or billions of users.
- Solid fundamentals in Deep Learning, Image/Video Understanding, or Text Understanding. MS or PhD degree in Computer Vision, Deep Learning, or a related field.
- A Leader: You have initiated and facilitated challenging technical decisions across multiple teams and organizations.
- User oriented: While technical, you always start with the needs of the user, whether they are Roblox users or internal engineers.
- Versatile: You can work complex academic solutions into production solutions for different use cases.
- Creative: You take a creative and strategic approach to solving hard problems. You simplify the complex. You bring in fresh ideas from new places.
For roles that are based at our headquarters in San Mateo, CA: The starting base pay for this position is as shown below. The actual base pay is dependent upon a variety of job-related factors such as professional background, training, work experience, location, business needs and market demand. Therefore, in some circumstances, the actual salary could fall outside of this expected range. This pay range is subject to change and may be modified in the future. All full-time employees are also eligible for equity compensation and for benefits.
Annual Salary Range
$383,910 — $440,190 USD
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- Industry-leading compensation package
- Excellent medical, dental, and vision coverage
- A rewarding 401k program
- Flexible vacation policy
- Roflex - Flexible and supportive work policy
- Roblox Admin badge for your avatar
- At Roblox HQ:
- Free catered lunches five times a week and several fully stocked kitchens with unlimited snacks
- Onsite fitness center and fitness program credit
- Annual CalTrain Go Pass
Roblox provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.