Technical Director, Art
Toronto ON ca
6 months ago
Ubisoft Toronto Inc.
224 Wallace Avenue. M6H 1V7
Location of position: Toronto, Ontario
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We create worlds where people can express themselves, explore, and discover new possibilities.
Ubisoft Toronto was founded in 2010 and has contributed to many award-winning Ubisoft brands including: Assassin’s Creed®, Far Cry®, For HonorTM, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell®, and Watch Dogs®. In 2018, the team at Ubisoft Toronto developed its first new IP, Starlink: Battle for Atlas, and is leading development of Watch Dogs: Legion. Ubisoft Toronto is one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People in 2020.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling game-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where bright ideas have a chance to shine and everyone is eager to share knowledge.
Challenge accepted? Join us and Create the Unknown.
Technical Director, Art
As the Technical Director, Art you will be responsible for research, innovation, technical quality of the production, assure technical support to team members and guide and assist them in the best practices possible.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time.
The main and routine tasks of the Technical Director, Art are to:
- Put in place and document the graphic production pipeline (modeling, animation, characters, lighting, SFX, etc..) and assure the follow up;
- Test the new tools before their deployment into production;
- Create, organize and lead training sessions for the graphic team members on the tools and techniques chosen and follow through that they are being well used throughout the project;
- Coordinate and act as an intermediary between their graphic team and the tool programming team;
- Guide and provide constant support to the team members;
- Record the technical innovations according to their expertise to produce the desired effects of the project and to improve quality;
- Test and confirm that the intended techniques are possible with the tools chosen and validate the quality of the product with the Art Director and Lead Programmer;
- Produce a technical reference and/or technical constraints document, keep it current and communicate it so that the team can refer to it when required;
- Communicate regularly the technical constraints and their reasons to the team;
- Assure the homogeneity of the technical quality throughout the game;
- Propose and create the right tools to accelerate certain procedural tasks which the graphic team is responsible for;
- Provide constant support to the graphic team in terms of the production software of the engines used;
- Follow up on the evolution and distribution of tasks of their Assistant TD (when applicable);
- Evaluate maps on the technical plan.
- College Diploma in graphic design 2D and 3D or in video game development or any other equivalent training.
- 5+ years’ experience, including 2 years as Technical Artist or any other relevant experience. Game industry experience is preferred.
- 3 to 5 years pertinent experience in 3D real-time (Level Artist, Modeller, Texture Artist, etc.);
- Detailed knowledge of the jobs required to produce a video game;
- Detailed knowledge of the technical constraints of engines and the different game platforms;
- Knowledge of 2D and 3D graphic software;
- Knowledge of an asset management system (ex : Perforce, VSS, Alienbrain);
- Knowledge of at least one programming language (C++, Python, MEL, MaxScript, C#);
- Experience in the supervision of artists through a creation process is an asset;
- Shows leadership;
- Able to express ideas;
- Good personal relations and communication;
- Focused on achieving superior results;
- Solid team player;
- Analytical and able to summarize;
- Able to adapt to change;
- Focus on the client (internal and external);
- Able to work under pressure;
· Competitive Salary
· Comprehensive Benefits Package:
o Disability Insurance
o Dental Insurance
o Extended medical insurance
o (Optional) RRSP contribution
o Bonus (If Applicable)
Why Ubisoft Toronto?
Located in Toronto's up-and-coming Junction Triangle neighbourhood since 2010, Ubisoft Toronto is a studio full of passionate and experienced game developers focused on making innovative and exciting games. With over 35 languages spoken, Ubisoft Toronto is as diverse as the booming city it calls home. At Ubisoft Toronto, we are passionate about positive culture. We host monthly team celebrations, organize events for employees and their families, and we offer a variety of health and wellness initiatives like on-site yoga, on-site occupational therapists, flexible days, and an abundance of fresh fruit to promote a balanced life.
Ubisoft Toronto conducts annual performance reviews to help our team develop their careers and grow with our studio, and we provide the opportunity for salary increases annually as part of the performance review process. Ubisoft Toronto also offers a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training, and career development.
Join us and see for yourself why Ubisoft is rated one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, and one of Canada’s Top Employers for Young People multiple years running!
At Ubisoft Toronto, we look for people who are excited to create the future of games in one of the most diverse cities in the world. We believe that embracing our differences helps us build stronger creative teams and develop better games for all players.
We are an equal-opportunity employer and welcome applications from all interested candidates. We strongly encourage applications from Indigenous people, racialized people, neurodivergent people, people with disabilities, people from gender and sexually diverse communities and/or people with intersectional identities.
We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation for people with disability upon request.
If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for? Apply to join us now!
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.