This job might no longer be available.
London, United Kingdom
6 months ago
About Splash Damage
Located in the London borough of Bromley, Splash Damage is all about crafting the world's most engaging multiplayer experiences. Our recent projects include our multiplayer shooter Dirty Bomb as well as Gears of War 4. We're growing our studio for exciting new projects on PC and console, and are looking for talented and passionate developer to help create them.
We look after our staff with a comprehensive package of perks and benefits, and have been awarded The Sunday Times’s Best Companies accreditation three years running.
We believe our teams create better experiences when they have a range of perspectives and opinions to draw from, and we are committed to increasing diversity across our studio to consistently enable that.
As Splash Damage’s Technical Designer you will work closely with the design team, contributing to the game design. Identify technical pitfalls and
challenges while offering solutions and opportunities to innovate. You will prove new features by developing prototypes or providing accessible prototypes for the design team to experiment with. You will maintain familiarity with the technical aspects of the game’s development.
You will mentor, coach, manage and direct other Designers if necessary, including identifying Designers to work on features, levels or products within the studio. You will regularly be part of peer-reviews.
You will liaise with other disciplines in the development of complex features representing Design’s interests, ensuring implementation meets the design brief.
You will act as a technical reference for designers in evaluating features and setting or sharing best practices in production workflows within the team and studio. Support the programming team by assisting in debugging and optimization or undertaking light programming work. You will carry out development tasks such as implementing scripted features on systems or levels.
You will regularly communicate out progress against quality, scope and game vision alignment expectations. You will discuss and explain the rationale behind your decision making and listen, iterating on feedback from other disciplines or Designers. You will regularly present the areas of the game you are responsible for to the studio. Where necessary you will speak to the media and prepare key product messaging for the media.
Essential Skills and Experience
- A passion for making and playing games, especially the technical aspects of their creation.
- Significant industry experience and 1 shipped AAA current gen (PS4 / XBOX ONE) console or PC title that featured a multiplayer component, worked on from beginning to end
- The ability to work independently without close supervision
- Experience with a scripting or programming language (visual or text based)
- Experience of prototyping gameplay mechanics using UE4, Unity, or similar
- Experience in creating first or third person shooters
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Experience writing high quality and thorough design documentation
- Experience with source-control applications (SVN, Perforce, AlienBrain, etc.)
- The ability to work collaboratively with other disciplines
Preferred Skills and Experience
- Knowledge of players motivations, psychology and cognitive biases
- Knowledge and understanding in multiple areas of design, with emphasis in areas where digital prototyping is required
- Experience with C# or C++
- Aspire to create holistic designs where systems and subsystems work together to make a whole that is more than the sum of its parts
- Some knowledge of design methodologies and frameworks (e.g. MDA, Rational Game Design, PENS etc)
- Undergraduate degree in Video Game Design, Computer Science, Entertainment or a form of technical training
Splash Damage offers a fun, friendly and relaxed working environment. Everyone here shares a passion for video games and that shows in daily office life. We also regularly get together for social events like pub quizzes, cinema nights, football, and company parties.
Find out more on our Culture page.