3 days ago
You are a gamer. You are passionate about leveraging technology to facilitate workflows and bring to life the concepts brought forward by content creators. You have content ideas and creation capabilities of your own and you can leverage your skills to help bring those into reality. You are a highly skilled technical designer with a deep knowledge of the tools of the trade and of every part of the design pipeline – from content generation tools to the end user experience. You have the experience and creativity to conceive of pipelines, user facing objects, and systems that leverages the capabilities of those using them, from fellow developers to members of the user generated content community.
What You Will Be Doing
Work closely with design and engineering, both at HSL and with our co-development partner, to create, implement, and maintain new user and developer experiences, compelling gameplay, tools, and capabilities in an existing AAA project.
- Design, prototype, debug, iterate, test, implement, polish, re-design, and re-architect, existing and new game play systems, pipelines, and mechanics.
- Utilize Unreal Blueprint, native code, and other logic systems to create, support, and improve in game content, tools, and objects.
- Serve as a role model for working together – across disciplines, across teams and across organizations.
- Support cross-functional and cross-studio efforts and have collaborative behaviors to support your role, project, and studio.
- Work with Production to craft reasonable estimates and deliver on those estimates in accordance with schedule and commitments.
- Act as a bridge between engineering and design, and sometimes in both camps at the same time; facilitate communication effectively across disciplines to support project deliverables. .
- Be a team player, advocate for yourself, your team, your project, and your studio. Proficient in email and real-time chat programs.
- Appreciate and understand the game you are working on, the design and business goals and how your contributions support and uphold those goals.
- Understand the technology and how to best utilize it to achieve your team’s goals.
- Be sound, sustainable, extendable, and clear in your solutions, documentation, and implementations.
What You Will Bring
- 3+ years of technical design experience
- Experience with a major game engine; Unreal Engine 4 experience preferred
- Experience with and proficient in UE4 Blueprint visual scripting
- Comfortable and capable in complex and simple logic
- Understands programming, can read and write code, even if not a professional at it
- Effective and efficient debugger and tester
- Values clear and understandable implementations with comments, and readability considerations
- Excellent collaboration, communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills with a strong understanding cross discipline dynamics
- A passion for games with a strong commitment to quality and excellence in end user experiences and follow through to ensure success
- Ability to adapt and cope with change as the production of the project demand
Nice to Haves
- C++/C# Experience
- Shipped Game Title
- Understanding of and proficient in Perforce
- Proficient in at least one non-visual scripting language
- Proficient in Excel and managing data in tables
- Enjoys monitoring existing community for feedback and ideas
REQUIRED APPLICATION MATERIALS
- Must be willing to complete / participate in a technical design assessment exercise.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Employment Eligibility Requirement
- Must be a US Citizen or Permanent Resident and not require Visa sponsorship to be eligible.
What to Expect at Hardsuit Labs
All Hardsuit Labs employees
- Contribute respectfully with empathy, emotional intelligence, and self-awareness
- Can work collaboratively in a team as well as on your own
- Are able to be self-directed in their work and learning
- Bring a growth mindset to the work they do
Working at Hardsuit Labs Means:
- Work-life balance: a work family that doesn’t replace your family-family
- Flexible workday hours and partial work-from-home opportunities
- Time off when you need it: a wellness-first and family-first mindset
- High transparency and easy access to studio leadership
- Keep a project and company mindset, ensuring that the success of the project (and thus the company) is prominent in any decision
Hardsuit Labs Benefits:
- Generous medical, dental, vision, EAP, medical FSA, dependent care FSA, and both short & long-term disability
- Paid Vacation Time
- Paid Sick Time
- Paid Holidays including the week between Christmas and New Year’s Day
- 401(k) program which includes employer match
- Free parking
- Skilled, passionate, and fun co-workers
- Professional development support for credentials/certifications
Washington state is an “at will” employment state, which means that either the employer or employee may terminate an employment relationship at any time. This also means that an employer can terminate the employee’s employment without providing a reason. Therefore, absent an employment contract specifying terms of employment termination, the employment is at will.