This job might no longer be available.
1 month ago
As a Technical Designer, you support the development team with technical and creative input, mentor and coach other technical designers, and act as a reference in evaluating gameplay features and best practices for production workflow within the team. Gameplay is at the heart of everything we do, and this role involves architecting and implementing the gameplay systems, levels, and features that define the project. Working closely with Design, Code, Art, Animation, Audio, and just about all other departments, you will be combining all the elements of the game into a complete experience. As well as good technical scripting skills, you must have a passion for videogames, and an uncompromising eye for detail.
You will be joining the studio at an exciting time, as we scale up to develop an ambitious and ground-breaking game. The role brings with it great scope for career growth and the satisfaction of making a significant personal contribution to a high-profile project.
We believe in iterative development, and you will need to be comfortable working in a fluid environment with competing demands. We also believe the best games are made by diverse teams, and we welcome and encourage applicants of all backgrounds.
- Design, implement and take ownership of complex gameplay systems and features on the project.
- Implement missions, systems and activities using code-based scripting tools.
- Collaborate with other departments on developing extensive cross-discipline features.
- Tune and balance missions and game features.
- Collaborate with engineering to define and implement improvements to tools and workflows.
- Serve as a technical point of contact for various features and gameplay systems you develop.
- Deliver high-quality work on time.
- Mentor and guide other members of the Technical Design team.
- 5+ years experience as a Technical Designer in the game industry.
- Strong knowledge of a technical scripting language with Lua being preferred.
- Proven experience contributing to content in different game design areas.
- Previous experience designing and implementing complex gameplay systems.
- Deep knowledge and understanding of game design workflows.
- A keen eye for detail and a drive to create polished, high-quality work.
- Passion for videogames and a broad grasp of game types and systems.
- Strong teamwork and communication skills.
- Experience with visual scripting tools would be an advantage.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Our Global Benefits & Perks
- Unlimited coaching & therapy — with Oliva, to support your mental health
- Annual Learning Allowance — to spend on your development
- Stock Options — everyone owns a piece of our success
- Compassionate Leave — regardless of who it is, whether you’ve miscarried, or a lost a pet, you don’t need to tell us why
- Birthday Present — gift voucher or a charity donation
- Birthday Day off — to celebrate your birthday away from work each year
- Caregiver Leave — up to 5 days each year to support your loved ones
- New baby gift — money toward a meal delivery or cleaning service
- Remote Working Budget – for remote workers to get out of the house
- Pension scheme — to finance those golden years
- Socials —office & remote events, play sessions and company-wide parties
- And even more benefits based on your location!
If you’re based in the UK
- 29 Annual Leave + 3 bank holidays - we’re flexible with most bank holidays so you can use the time to celebrate what’s important to you
- Long Service Days - 2 extra days added on your 2nd & 4th anniversaries with us.
- Private Medical Insurance - full cover with AXA
- Healthcare Cash Plan - Level 3 cover with Medicash
- Enhanced Family Leave - Primary caregivers; 13 weeks full pay, 13 weeks half pay, Secondary caregivers; 2 weeks full pay
- Cycle2Work Scheme - lease a bike through us and save on tax too!
- Electric Car Charging - electric car charging at our Port office in Edinburgh, Scotland.
Please note: Our benefits are reviewed annually and subject to change.
Build A Rocket Boy is developing EVERYWHERE; an experience with a breadth of unimaginable gameplay adventure.
We are a mix of industry leading veterans whose credits include some of the best selling and most loved games of all time. We’re a creative digital entertainment studio with an open and progressive methodology, dedicated to delivering games of the highest calibre possible.
If you want to feel comfortable, inspired, and appreciated in your work pursuits then come join us. We have offices in Edinburgh, Budapest and can consider WFH candidates for specific roles.