2 months ago
Blackbird Interactive is looking for a passionate and experienced technical artist to join our team to be a key part of our art and engineering backbone. Do you want to build stylish and compelling experiences? Do you love working with a team of talented designers, artists and programmers to create ambitious in-game content?
You will be part of a small, high performing team who can crunch ideas quickly and come up with dazzling solutions to challenging problems. You will have a collaborative approach to troubleshooting, building the tools used by the modeling artists and animators.
- The design and creation of custom asset export tools and pipelines for Maya to streamline artist workflows
- Understanding of real-time content development and ability to devise high visual quality solutions within technical constraints
- Technical proficiency in animation, modeling, and texturing
- Able to work with minimum supervision, work well in a small team, take ownership for problems and collaborate solutions
- To act as a bridge between Art, Engineering and the game engine
- Ability to generate clear and understandable documentation for tool and production pipelines
- Strong understanding of the VFX production pipeline/tools/etc
- Proficiency with scripting (Python and MEL)
- Understanding of asset management
- Experience with animation rigs and game animation systems
- Familiarity with modeling and game asset building
- Experience with stylised game art and effects
- Shows initiative for creative problem solving and unorthodox solutions
- Experience working with Maya
- Experience or knowledgeable using off the shelf engines such as Unity and Unreal
- Rigging and animating
- P4V experience.
At Blackbird, we're all about being true to our roots. We started small in our CEO's garage, and even though we're expanding, our desire is to stick to that foundation of creativity, community, and collaboration. Our team has proved that great ideas can come from any position in any discipline, so it's important to us to make sure every voice is heard.
Work/life balance is extremely important to us, and we've demonstrated that over the years by severely limiting over-time requirements. We want people to be happy about coming to work every day, and to that end we offer lots of opportunities for growth and development; whether it's lunch and learns, team events, or our generous vacation days, paid holiday closure and flexible schedules. We also try to provide every opportunity possible for our employees to spearhead R&D initiatives through our BlackOps program. In short, don't expect to feel like a cog in a machine working for BBI.
Due to COVID-19, applicants must be eligible to work in Canada, or currently in Canada on a work permit/visa. With the exception of specifically on-site roles, all roles will commence as a work-from-home arrangement. This arrangement will be revisited as COVID-19 government regulations are eased.
Please send a cover letter with your resume and application. If applying for an artistic role, please provide a link to your portfolio and/or demo reel.
If you are interested in the role, please apply even if your experience and skills don’t perfectly match our ideal credentials. We are committed to diversity and especially encourage members of underrepresented communities to apply. As an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all qualified individuals. BBI does not discriminate against applicants based on genders, races, national and ethnic origins, religions, ages, sexual orientation, marital and family status, and/or mental or physical disabilities.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.