Technical Artist - Rigging
9 days ago
The Rigging team creates systems to support character and vehicle animation by developing body and facial rigging systems, animation interfaces and by supporting animators with technical setup and production.
Technical Artist (Rigging)
The Rigging Technical Artist (Rigging TA) is a liaison between artists and software engineers by developing solutions to assets, tools, and workflows that allow the desired visual result to be attained. As a contributor, understanding of real-time computation and biomechanics, as it relates to human anatomy, is a must for creating believable skin deformation and control systems. The Technical Artist will work as part of a team and coordinate with supervisors, lead artists, and directors to develop content for game teams.
What a Rigging TA does at EA:
- Design complex skeletons, control rigs, secondary animation (fat, jiggle), and skin deformations
- Deploy animation tools, workflows, and pipelines to improve production efficiency
- Implement techniques and process to solve character and animation and deformation challenges as identified by department lead
- Coordinate in problem identification and provide solutions
- Collaborate with your client partners (Art, Programming, Production)
The next great EA Rigging TA needs
- 2+ years of technical art/rigging/animation experience with multiple shipped game titles or VFX/feature animation
- Experience with Python, C# or C++ and familiarity with the Maya API (MotionBuilder API experience a plus )
- A Background in rigging and skinning complex character assets
- Understanding of animation principles and human anatomy
- Expert in standard industry tools including Maya, Houdini, and MotionBuilder in applicable areas
- Experience documenting processes required to educate artists on new tools or workflows.
- A degree in visual effects or technical subject areas.