Technical Artist (Pipeline)
9 months ago
Supermassive Games are looking for a highly talented and experienced technical artist to play a key role in the studio.
The primary role of this position is to help guide the content production pipelines and help maintain performance. This includes developing our internal toolsets and workflows and ensuring that art meets both the high visual quality required and performance targets.
Key skills and Responsibilities:
The main and routine tasks of this position are:
- Identify pipeline, workflow & build problems, solve them or work with
- teams to mitigate impact on the final product.
- Optimising shaders and advising art on how to further optimise assets and other content to fit within the technical limitations of the target platforms.
- Working closely and pro-actively with the art and tech team to improve workflows and processes.
- Collaborating with other disciplines such as Lighting, VFX, Engineering and Design to create a AAA game experience.
- Lead research efforts to define and maintain art production pipelines and workflows.
- Help define new art workflows and identify industry trends/Best practices.
- Be the point of contact between team members to drive cross-department collaboration.
- Mentor and help teams in cross discipline work, ensuring best practices are followed.
- At least 3 years of experience as a technical artist or related art role, working on at least one AAA title.
- A strong portfolio of work which demonstrates the ability to create high quality artwork suitable for games.
- Solid knowledge of Unreal Engine is essential.
- Experience of 3D modelling, and artist workflows including texturing.
- Experience with defining and creating tools for art pipelines.
- Solid Python scripting knowledge.
- Unreal Engine 4 and related performance profiling tools.
- Maya or equivalent modelling package.
- In-depth knowledge of modern lighting models, and how they affect shader creation.
- Good knowledge of node-based shader editors and/or HLSL experience.
The following would be an advantage:
- Exposure to C++/C#
- Good understanding of 3D math.
- Good knowledge of Houdini & procedural content creation.
- Experience with Substance Designer & Painter.
- Knowledge of high-polygon sculpting tools, such as Mudbox, ZBrush or 3D Coat and the asset baking process.