Technical Artist - Coconut Lizard
12 days ago
Technical Artist – Coconut Lizard
Coconut Lizard is at the cutting edge of technology and creativity, delivering co-development video game services to our global triple-A clients. Our successful studio is growing, and we are now looking for a Technical Artist to join the expanding art team. Founded in 2015, and part of the Keyword Studios Group since 2020, we are based in Newcastle/Gateshead area and we work on multiple exciting projects at any one time, offering plenty of variety and involvement. We offer our talented team a professional, fun and supportive working environment and we are passionate about what we do.
The Technical Artist will be a key part of our growing Art Team. We are looking for a creative problem solver to support both the art and animation team requirements, assisting with resolving technical issues, streamlining workflows, improving performance and creating toolsets. We work with very high-profile clients on amazing game titles and the Technical Artist will get to work on a wide variety of projects, raising the bar of the art productivity and efficiency, and therefore helping us satisfy and retain their loyalty.
Responsibilities – Technical Artist:
- Responsible for helping to establish and maintain project art pipelines from inception and throughout the project life cycle.
- Support the art and animation team requirements and assist with resolving technical issues.
- Ensure all artwork hits memory and frame rate guidelines/restrictions.
- Ensure all artwork adheres to guidelines regarding naming conventions, texture layering structures etc.
- Be proactive in finding solutions to technical issues.
- Advise the Senior Technical Artist of any concerns or productions risks.
- Encourage and mentor other members of the Technical Art Team.
- Collaborate with the artists and feedback on how they can improve the performance of the in-game assets while maintaining visual fidelity.
- Assist with creating and integrating in-house toolsets and be involved in creating materials/shaders.
- Keep up to date with industry advancements and technologies and share knowledge with the art team.
- Experience of working within game development for at least 3 years.
- Experience of the console market.
- At least 2 published titles.
- At least 2 full project cycles in a Technical Art position.
- Practical and methodical approach to technical and creative problem-solving.
- Enjoy the technical challenge and constraints of real-time game art.
- Demonstrate dependability and commitment to projects and tasks, and a hunger to learn and improve as a Technical Artist.
- Must have an excellent working knowledge and proficiency in Maya and/or 3DS Max and be performance and quality focused.
- Strong communication and organisation skills and confident working within a multidisciplinary art team.
- Ability to deliver high quality work.
- Good knowledge of current game development practices and terminology and a passion for staying up to date with latest technology and embracing new game art techniques.
- Knowledge of Python, MEL and/or Maxscript, the Maya API and programming in C++ or C#, Unreal Engine and Houdini. Some understanding of various other tools and software used in development such as Photoshop and Substance also advantageous.
- Able to create materials/shaders, having a good understanding of a PBR workflow and having some understanding of modern rendering, shading and lighting techniques and a good understanding of the technical limitations of current console hardware are all also advantageous.
- Flexible and calm approach with the ability to adapt to change.
Benefits & Perks - j ust some of the many offered by Coconut Lizard, alongside a great working environment:
- 25 days holiday (+ bank holidays + up to 5 days extra for length of service)
- Company Pension Scheme
- Flexible working hours
- Private Medical Plan
- Employee Share Scheme
- Anti-crunch ethos - an amazingly professional, fun and supportive working environment!
- Annual Bonus – be rewarded for great teamwork!
- Free Parking
- Tech and Bike Scheme
- Company Share Scheme
- Company Socials, Project Launch/Wrap Parties + Annual Events
- Complimentary refreshments in the studio
We offer a flexible working policy – this Technical Artist role has the option to be studio based, hybrid or remote.
Initial interviews will be help by video call with a second interview at the studio depending on applicant’s location.
Don't meet every single requirement? Not a problem - please apply. At d3t we are dedicated to building a diverse, inclusive and authentic workplace and culture. If this opportunity excites you but your current skills or past experience don't align perfectly with the job description, we encourage you to still apply. You may just be the right candidate for this or other roles within our team.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.