Technical Artist - Characters & Creatures
9 days ago
When you’re a Technical Artist at Ubi Québec, you know you’ve done your job when the feature your team has created for a game is visually stunning while maintaining its cutting-edge performance. You strive to exceed players’ expectations of a AAA game.
To achieve this, you bridge the worlds of the artist and the programmer, acting as an interpreter and problem-solver. Because of you, the two collaborate cohesively and efficiently, on budget and on deadline, using the most appropriate tools and pipelines. You ensure assets can be rendered without compromising the artistic vision, on the one hand, or busting your memory budget on the other, setting benchmarks for your feature as you go along. You are the team’s hybrid specialist, speaking both from the heart and the mind, with your eye on AAA quality.
You are in the vanguard of your field; your curious and passionate nature sees you investigating, creating and implementing new techniques that will drive your team’s feature to the forefront of the videogame industry and set new standards. As such, you’re a seasoned instructor and enjoy sharing your knowledge and expertise.
The daily life of a Technical Artist at Ubi Québec
In the early stages of production, you will:
- Establish quick, efficient and clear pipelines;
- Prepare coherent documentation for pipelines, tools and procedures;
- Do benchmarking for your features through research and testing;
- Prototype features and provide transparent accounts of their performance;
- Work on creating asset banks (such as textures).
During production and its later stages, you will also:
- Ensure coworkers adhere to procedures and standards you’ve established;
- Update documentation;
- Fix performance bugs and polish your feature.
- Train coworkers and support them.
What it takes to make it
- A diploma in videogame modelling or equivalent
- Experience as a modeller or artist in the videogame industry
- Experience developing for consoles—at least two full production cycles
- Experience with software such as 3ds Max, Photoshop, or Substance Designer
- You wear—and enjoy wearing—many hats, including artist, programmer, diplomat and many more
What to send our way
- Your CV, highlighting your background, skills, and any games shipped
Have access to benefits that make a real difference in your day-to-day life :
- A hybrid and flexible work mode, 6 weeks of vacation in your first year, an enriched parental leave, a Ubi gym directly in our offices, a complete group insurance program, access to complete Dialogue telemedicine services, an RRSP with a contribution from Ubisoft, an advantageous bonus program, concrete measures to ensure the right to disconnect, the option of working part-time and much more. Click here for all the details.
- Joining a team of 21,000 Ubisoft employees working across more than 40 locations around the world, are boundby a common mission to enrich players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. Their dedication and talent have brought to life many acclaimed franchises such as Assassin's Creed, Far Cry, Watch Dogs, Just Dance, Rainbow Six, and many more to come;
- Working for an equal opportunity employer who believes that diversity of backgrounds and perspectives is essential to creating worlds where gamers and their teams can thrive and express themselves. It's about taking on exciting challenges, being at the forefront of cutting-edge technology and being part of the future of entertainment.
With a team of more than 500 creative, passionate and innovative talents, Ubisoft Quebec continues to grow and expand. Founded in 2005, the Quebec City studio has carved out a place for itself among the leaders in the video game industry. Involved in several of Ubisoft's flagship franchises, it has acquired solid expertise, positioning it in the development of major AAA games. Involved in the Assassin's Creed franchise since 2010, the Quebec City team has assumed leadership of Assassin's Creed Odyssey, Immortals Fenyx Rising as well as the new crossover stories of Assassin's Creed Odyssey and Valhalla.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.