Technical Artist: Animation (All Levels)
4 months ago
At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar Leeds is on the lookout for talented Technical Artist: Animation who possess a passion for Technical Art to help develop and support our titles. This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in the heart of Leeds.
WHAT WE DO
- Bring innovation and resolution to technical problems and challenges throughout Animation - from content creation through to the game (across multiple platforms).
- Create and maintain tools and pipelines that improve our Animation workflows.
- Provide general support for an ever-growing Animation team and document/share solutions/knowledge with wider team.
- Proactively use knowledge and experience to identify and solve problems before they affect the Animation team and our projects.
- Work closely with fellow Technical Artists as part of a global team working on interconnected tools and systems.
- Collaborate and communicate with other departments (aside from the Animation department) such as Tools (Automation) and Runtime teams.
- This is a Technical Artist role with an Animation specialism. The candidate could potentially be involved in a wide variety of technical tasks related to Animation.
- Note: This is not a regular Animator position so the candidate won't be doing any Animating.
- Create tools within Motionbuilder/Maya (in Python/QT) to support and push forward workflows across the various disciplines of Animation.
- Write standalone tools/systems (in Python and/or C#) and integrate them with our Animation pipeline.
- Work with Runtime and Animation teams to push engine features forward to keep our Animation systems at the very cutting edge.
- Assist the Rigging team in creation of highly advanced facial/character/weapon/vehicle rigs and related tooling.
- Help develop and build on our Facial Animation and recognition pipeline.
- Write C++ plugins to customise and extend DCC packages as required for our bespoke needs.
- Write new Automation tasks to support our ever expanding and varied Animation requirements across multiple projects.
- Create tools/scripts to support Animation production/tracking (integrating with inhouse systems and 3rd party solutions such a Shotgun).
- Staying current with latest technologies/research ongoing in the field to help keep our Art tools and pipelines at the cutting edge.
- A relevant degree or professional experience in the game industry as a Technical Artist: Animation or similar/related position.
- In the absence of the above; videos or an online portfolio with relevant examples of your work will be required so we can assess your skill set.
- Strong coding/scripting skills with OOP knowledge.
- Ability to write tools within DCC packages or standalone.
- Strong problem-solving skills and ability to think outside the box.
- Comfortable coding in an IDE and debugging.
- Understanding of using DCC packages for authoring Animation for games.
- Strong communication, self-management, and organizational skills.
- Effective time management skills to meet deadlines and milestones.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Professional experience developing pipelines and/or tools in Games/Films/VFX is highly advantageous.
- Experience creating Animation scripts/tools for Motionbuilder, Maya, Houdini is highly advantageous.
- Experience with Python (standalone or within the context of a relevant DCC) is highly advantageous.
- Experience with QT (PySide/PyQt or C++) and Model/View pattern is highly advantageous.
- Experience programming C++ plugins for Motionbuilder, Maya, Houdini or similar DCCs for Animation.
- Experience using other game engines (e.g. Unreal/Unity or proprietary tech) with relation to Animation.
- Solid foundation in math (specifically 3D math).
- Experience with facial animation, facial motion capture, and/or facial tracking.
- Knowledge of character rigging and standards.
- Professional experience as an Animator in games or VFX (although this is not an Animator role).
- Experience using source control software (i.e. Perforce, Git) and working on a code base collaboratively.
- Experience with C# and .NET Core/Framework.
- Experience working with WPF, XAML, and the MVVM pattern.
- Experience of using Shotgun.
- Professional experience working and developing in a multi-platform, multi-project environment.
- Professional experience working in a large team spread across multiple locations and timezones.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a CV and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.