Technical Art Generalist
16 days ago
We are looking for a Technical Art Generalist to join Atomhawk’s growing Technical Art team. They will play a key role in the senior team; helping develop the service line and product offering of this new team, building on Atomhawk’s reputation and work with some of the best brands in the digital entertainment sector.
This role requires someone who is a skilled problem solver, an inspiring and enthusiastic team player who has a creatively pragmatic approach to solving technical challenges. The successful candidate will thrive in a technically creative and ever-changing environment where daily deadlines are handled with confidence.
As a key member of the project delivery team they will ensure Technical Art projects are creatively outstanding and of a high technical quality. On a more practical level, the Technical Art Generalist will be involved in development of software and hardware solutions tailored to suit the needs of a range of projects and clients. They will also take a positive role in developing the standard of Atomhawk’s own internal pipelines and tools.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator and comfortable producing technical documentation whilst working with various degrees of ownership. They will enjoy providing feedback to their team and quality control on projects across the technical art spectrum.
- Demonstrable understanding of Python /C#/C++/Scripting Languages or similar systems required.
- Demonstrable understanding of modern 3D engines and game engines (e.g. Unreal, Unity) and the technology behind them.
- Troubleshooting skills – Technical and project focused (e.g. people, process, tools, workflow etc)
- Proven understanding of methods for optimising pipelines, processes and assets for game engines.
- Technical proficiency and enthusiasm for understanding both external and proprietary tools + technology.
- An understanding of industry standard 3D software packages (Maya, 3D Studio Max, Motion Builder, zBrush etc.).
- Experience and understanding of art/animation pipelines on modern game consoles.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills.
- Diligence with tasks, schedule and adherence to budget limitations
- Positive attitude and a desire to bring new ideas to the team.
- An applied understanding of game development process, ideally from a background of working on the creation of games.
- Proven experience creating high quality technical solutions to art for games/animation/FX production at AAA level
- VFX experience,
- UI, UX experience
- Familiarity with Adobe suite, Substance painter, Designer
- Up to date knowledge of current programming techniques and development processes.
- Familiarity – shaders, materials, lighting & post processing.
- Project management experience
- Client facing experience, specifically for taking briefs and presenting work
- Awareness and interest of current titles and industry trends
Education and Experience
- Experience in Game Engineer or Development roles or equivalent within the gaming sector.
- A track-record of delivering technical creative projects to time and budget for a range of clients.
As well as having the chance to work on some incredible projects, Atomhawk offers a unique environment for those wanting to be surrounded by like-minded creative people. We have one of the largest in-house teams of specialist digital artists in the world, providing a collaborative community that works, develops and socialises together.
Atomhawk provides structured career development and training pathways for staff at all levels. We offer flexible working hours and a strict ‘No-Crunch’ culture, meaning overtime is not required or forced within the art team. This is alongside a competitive salary, relocation allowance and comprehensive flexible benefit scheme.
For this role we are encouraging remote applications. Given the nature of the work a local timezone to the UK would be a benefit but not essential.
For those wanting to work in a physical office we have studio locations across the UK, with a particular focus in the North East of England and the Midlands.
Atomhawk is part of Sumo Group plc, one of the UK’s leading videogame developers.