Technical Art Director
16 days ago
Welcome to Striking Distance Studios!
Driven by people. Inspired by challenges. Relentless to deliver creative excellence.
At the intersection of art, design and technology lies Striking Distance Studios. Led by Dead Space and Call of Duty franchise veteran Glen Schofield, a new AAA development studio has risen within the San Ramon Hills of the San Francisco Bay Area. We have planted roots in beautiful Bishop Ranch and are now building our flagship state-of-the-art development studio establishing the East Bay as the new up and coming creative and technological hub we know it to be.
LED BY DEAD SPACE AND CALL OF DUTY FRANCHISE VETERAN GLEN SCHOFIELD, the development team at Striking Distance Studios is hard at work on its first game, The Callisto Protocol, a single player and story-driven survival horror game set in a prison colony on Jupiter’s moon Callisto. Here at Striking Distance Studios it is amazing people, an immersive experience and a passion for excellence that drives us each day. We are looking for people who push themselves creatively and learn with every new challenge. We give you the setting and the opportunity to do work you are proud of. We’re looking for the best to come join us and become part of a world-class team.
To us excellence is not a skill, but an attitude!
The Technical Art Director is both a managing and contributing position in the Technical Art team. Working collaboratively with the Art Director and Technical Directors, they will take ownership and oversee strategic multidisciplinary initiatives to deliver measurable game improvements. Main responsibilities include art production workflows, tools, pipelines, game analysis/optimization, gameplay scripting, and shader development. They will be responsible for mentoring and deploying the TA team to deliver planned projects and support the broader game team to keep production efficient.
- Leadership experience with successful examples of managing, mentoring, and deploying a TA team.
- Highly adept at communicating with different audiences: artists, engineers, managers.
- Strong knowledge of photoreal pipelines including physically based materials, physically based lighting, and asset capture.
- Expert knowledge of 2D and 3D art packages: Maya/Photoshop required. Strong Substance knowledge is also desired. Houdini experience is a bonus.
- Experience with outsourcing pipelines is a bonus.
- Strong collaborative sense and desire to continually seek and adapt to feedback.
- An aptitude for creative problem solving, particularly as it pertains to developing techniques to meet quality targets with difficult technical constraints.
- Deep understanding of asset optimization challenges/techniques.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- At least 6+ years of AAA production experience. At least 6 years of games production experience. The ideal candidate has shipped multiple AAA console games.
- Proficient scripting/programming in python and C#, with C++ a bonus.
- Full professional proficiency in English