Technical Art Director
14 days ago
"Motive" is the driving force within us that takes us from an idea to reality. Our studio provides a safe, trusting, and empowering environment for our game teams to unleash their creativity across massive brands. But we're not talking about the expected, the conventional, the cliché. We want none of that. Here, you will help make the extraordinary. You will also help shape our culture. Here, everyone has a voice, everyone can be themselves, everyone is welcome.
Reporting to the project’s Producer, the Technical Art Director will oversee the Tech Art department, leading by example and setting the quality bar for the department. Our ideal candidate has experience leading a game industry technical art team, has a strong grasp of the Artist’s perspective, and is passionate about meeting in-game and production needs through tools development and optimizing content creation workflows.
- Supervise the Tech Art team and ensure the quality of their work is at a high level.
- Work closely with the project’s Art or Programming leadership team to ensure tools and support features meet expectations for production needs.
- Maintain, improve, and document our current set of Art tools.
- Troubleshoot and prioritize Artist issues via tools and art creation workflows.
- Ensure that their team is able to follow the schedule and deliver work on time.
- Work closely with engineers, artists, and designers to pinpoint game performance and memory usage issues.
- Collaborate with leads in other departments and external groups to ensure good communication and solid working relationships between all development partners.
- Inspire their team to constantly raise the quality bar, develop solutions, and foster good working relationships with all other departments.
- Develop, motivate, and mentor team members. Create opportunities for new challenges and growth.
- Organize and pioneer ongoing research into new software and technologies to facilitate more efficient content production.
- Serve as an advocate for the Technical Art department’s needs and ambitions.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- 9+ years of games industry Tech Artist experience. Prior experience as a Technical Art Director on a AAA game team and at least one AAA shipped title is highly desirable.
- Demonstrable ability to lead by example, in both quality of work and professional conduct.
- Comprehensive knowledge of CG fundamentals: modeling, texturing/shading/surfacing, rigging, animation, lighting, rendering, post-processing.
- In depth expertise on relevant 3D and 2D software packages (such as Maya, Substance, Photoshop, and Zbrush.)
- Strong understanding of game engines and art integration as well as their corresponding technical constraints.
- Strong understanding of hardware platform capabilities, including memory, performance, and feature support.
- Ability to talk about R&D, and how to evaluate new software or technologies for use in game development.
- Strong understanding of content creation pipelines and how to optimize them.
- Ability to both receive and deliver constructive criticism.
- A strong sense of responsibility and accountability.
- A positive, solution-oriented attitude. Ability to inspire positivity within their team and trust with other departments.
- Strong people skills. Empathy for addressing the problems of others, respect for others’ time.
- Passion for making and playing games.