Tech Lead Manager, Mobile Native
19 days ago
Niantic’s mission is to use emerging technology to enrich our experiences as human beings in the physical world. We build products that inspire movement, exploration, and face-to-face social interaction.
We’re looking for a Tech Lead Manager, Mobile Native to lead our Adventure Sync team. The Tech Lead Manager is first and foremost a hands-on technical leader. You will lead the engineering team that builds mobile, real-time, geolocation tech for iOS and/or Android. Your work will advance Niantic’s geolocation platform to be used across different experiences and games. It will also enable game developers to create engaging apps for a user base in the billions.
You may manage up to 4 employees and this can also be an excellent stepping stone into management.
- Tech Lead Managers at Niantic are hands-on and focus on making their teams work better.
- Mentor and grow each individual, give timely feedback, support their careers, as well as communicate long-term product and technical vision with the team.
- Lead engineering design discussions, review and break down feature requirements, and actively participate in design and code reviews.
- Design and implement cross-compiled Android/iOS native code in C++.
- Build robust and highly performant networking and background services across all of Niantic’s products.
- Optimize for mobile execution, participate in code reviews, write unit tests, and conduct troubleshooting to ensure uptime for live systems.
- Collaborate with cross-functional team members and stakeholders to meet internal standards while cultivating strong working relationships with project team members, including regular and reliable attendance and participation in meetings.
- Prioritize and plan the work of the team in close collaboration with your engineers, managers, product managers, technical program manager, and other teams across the organization.
- Identify business and technological risks/opportunities from internal sources and crafts solutions/responses to them.
- Required in-office 2 days on Tuesday and Wednesday.
- BS, MS, or PhD in Computer Science, or a related technical field.
- Minimum 5+ years of experience.
- 1+ years of experience mentoring other engineers or leading a project with more than 1 engineer.
- Proficiency in C/C++, plus if proficient in C# programming languages.
- Experience with architecting and optimizing C++ library for low compute and low memory environments and multi-threaded concurrent development.
- Ability to work in a fast-paced hybrid environment and handle stress appropriately and/or ability to solve practical problems and be sufficiently adaptable to handle dynamic situations with little advance notice.
- Experience working with cross-functional teams with ability to communicate effectively through written and verbal communications, including synchronous interactions with others.
- Experience working on API for game engines such as Unity3D or Unreal.
- Experience designing & building projects independently, especially AR/VR games.
- Experience working with Gradle, Mobile Geofences, and Mobile GPS location.
- Experience with C#, Kotlin, Swift, Objective-C.
- Experience managing 3+ engineers.
The total compensation package for this position includes a new hire offer base salary range of $180,000 - $247,000 + bonus + equity + benefits.
Individual pay within this salary range is determined by work location and additional factors, including assessed job-related skills, experience, and relevant education or training. Your recruiter can answer any questions about new hire total compensation during the hiring process. An overview of benefit offerings for your location can be found on the careers page.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015. Some of our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe. Our basketball universe has come to life, as we recently launched one of the most innovative sports games ever, in partnership with the NBA. NBA ALL-World is now live and playable globally! Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer.
We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
Niantic is a hybrid first company. We believe that in person interaction and collaboration fosters creativity, a sense of community, and is critical to our future success as a company. Our hybrid work schedules allow for a mix of remote and in-office work.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Palo Alto, Bellevue, Kansas, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, Hyderabad, and Zurich. #LI-HYBRID
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.