Team Lead Development
Montreal QC ca
10 days ago
Leads a team of Developers. The Team Leader is responsible for the overall development and staffing of the team in order to achieve the strategic direction and objectives set in the team. Works closely with the IT Manager of the domain and the IT Service Director. As part of the structure’s management, the Team Leader participates in defining and reinforcing the decisions/vision of the structure. The responsibilities and competencies below are not limitative and can be updated in order to reach the team’s and personal goals.
The Team Lead is responsible for the health of a set of systems, and the careers of the engineers that work on them. Within the context of a project, the Team Lead role is to assign business and technical requirements to one or more team members for implementation and ensure that the requirements are met in a way that continues to improve the systems he/she is responsible for.
The Team Lead works with his/her stakeholders and manager to refine the roadmap, and participates to decisions on timing, prioritization and scheduling, using all available information. The Team Lead is responsible for the “When and the Who”.
It is the Team Lead’s responsibility to manage the understanding, sizing and scheduling of requirements and to provide dates when the functionality is intended to be delivered. As execution progresses, the TL is responsible for providing updates on how it is proceeding, and if any changes to expected dates have happened.
The Team Lead strictly adheres to the department core founding principles around DevOps and continuous improvement
- Create an environment oriented to trust, open communication, creative thinking, and cohesive team effort
- Lead by setting a good example (role model) - behavior consistent with words
- Encourage creativity, risk-taking, and constant improvement
- Recognize and celebrate team and team member accomplishments and exceptional performance
- Maintain excellent knowledge on Ubisoft and especially IT processes, reinforce them and propose enhancements as per reality in the operational field
- Mentor direct reports through formal and informal channels. Assess training needs and propose training tools for team members
- Actively work to make sure team members are assigned to projects to develop and stretch their skills
- Use a systematic approach to coach your team and hold them accountable for their growth.
- Own and drive performance reviews, setup OKRs
- Determine potential conflict situations and suggest solutions to his/her manager as part of the problem-solving process.
- Seek for clarity, support decisions by data, clearly call out trade-offs and impacts, open questions, and action items (with well identified owners and dates)
- Provide technical and functional guidance to team members
- Identifies recruitment needs and participates in the recruitment process
- Advocate and ensure department iterative approach is followed within his/her team
- Partner with his/her manager and project manager to organize and drive various ceremonies (e.g. planning and reviews)
- Evangelize continuous improvement related processes and ensure
- Stay connected and resolve blockers that could derail launch schedules
- Stay on top of all stories in an iteration
- Manage and define priorities and assign tasks with his/her team
- Ensure definition of done and acceptance criteria are met: make sure business and work with architects to ensure that engineering requirements are well-defined
- Seek long-term, strategic guidance from your leadership and the architecture team
- Participate to the team’s vision and roadmap definition
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or any other related field.
- At least 5 years’ experience as a Developer
- At least 2 years’ experience as a Lead
- Strong experience with applications design and development practices
- A strong technical foundation that is as good, or better, than our Senior Developers
- Understand the benefits of the various programming languages and accurately suggest the use of the appropriate technology
- Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations
- Knowledge of Agile methodology
- A passion for growing development teams and improving others
- Understand the Tuckman team stages
- Understand and apply the Pareto principle
- Excellent knowledge of English
- Knowledge of French is a big plus
- Encourage change and manage the implementation of new ideas.
- Creative, curious and innovative; suggest system improvements and offer alternative solutions to the different problems that may appear
- Passion for quality and continuous improvement of processes and software, well versed with software engineering practices (e.g. Continuous Engineering, Build/Deploy, Unit Testing, Regression Testing, Test & Release Environments)
- Lead by setting a good example (role model) - behaviour consistent with words
- React to project adjustments and alterations promptly and efficiently.
- Good team player, able to enter relationships based on openness, mutual respect and positive energy
- Able to multitask and perform on strict deadlines
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Quality and result oriented
- Persuasive, encouraging, and motivating
We are an equal-opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, ethnicity, religion, age or disability status
Ubisoft Montreal, an industry leading developer of video games, located in the heart of Montreal’s Mile-End, offers a unique environment where creativity, teamwork and cutting-edge technology bring to life critically acclaimed video games and iconic AAA franchises.
When you join Ubi Montreal, you enter a community of passionate, extraordinary people connected by their need to innovate, to be creative and to work with the latest technology. You’ll discover a world where employees enjoy constant career advancement, a supportive learning environment, and competitive compensation packages.