Systems Engineer, Defence
2 days ago
Improbable has created SpatialOS: a networking solution combining low latency, tools for faster iteration, and a ready-to-go architecture capable of supporting innovative games.
Now the Improbable Defence division, building on the backbone of SpatialOS, has combined world class scientific modelling, market leading AI, mission specific user interfaces and a uniquely flexible and secure deployment model to create a powerful simulation platform tailored to the needs of the military.
Our mission? To enable the most realistic and effective military simulations ever experienced, making defence users more effective on operations and decreasing the cost of military preparedness.
You will work cross-functionally across our engineering, product and delivery teams to ensure that we are consistent in our approach to building complex software. Since we are building an extremely complex software platform, this role is necessary to ensure we have a comprehensive requirements gathering process to satisfy contractual requirements.
- Ownership of the customer requirements and solution; you will be responsible for defining validation and verification definitions
- Ownership and generation of the test strategy, test plans & test documentation
- Just-enough planning using light-weight tools to provide an overview of the Product and its rationale and mid to long-range planning
- Emphasis on a conversation to capture requirements with “just enough” documentation using informal techniques such as User Stories and Use Case
- Light-weight requirement management processes based on the expectation of change.
- Just-in-time requirements analysis elicited incrementally and iteratively over the course of a project, rather than all upfront in a traditional waterfall methodology typically labelled as the analysis and design phase.
- You will develop a deep understanding of our customer needs & their approach to synthetic environments for decision-making. You will also become and expert in our offering and how it fits into long-term patterns of the market and our competition.
- As we kick off our programs, you will work with our product teams to provide analysis to establish the bigger picture of what we can and should build.
- Analysis will continue throughout the lifetime of the program; you will iterate regularly with increasing focus on specific features and will support the Product team directly.
- You will work with the Product team to document the product roadmap including features and capability, ensuring that this aligns with the expectations of our customer and the prevailing market signal that we have.
- You will work closely with the delivery group to document the foundations of a user story/use cases to be used by the engineering function and will participate in agile ceremonies like planning, estimation and retrospectives.
- You will input into the development of bid and proposals, providing detailed knowledge of customer requirements.
- You will work with our support group to analyse feedback to understand and triage improvements using tools like Jira
We'd like to hear from you if you identify with the following:
- Experience as a systems engineer (or similar) in a Defence setting - you should have experience with software as opposed to hardware products
- Ideally you will have worked on a comparatively complex software platform or product; modelling, simulation and/or defence experience is a firm requirement.
- Clear appreciation of the agile development process, leveraging it to develop appropriate processes and guides.
- Experience guiding multiple team to consensus on the scope, design decisions, and implementation decisions of a project
- Ability to leverage your knowledge of customer requirements to press teams to think critically about their design and prioritisation choices
- Demonstrated experience with requirements techniques such as user stories, use cases, and informal modelling.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills especially as it relates to documentation (both formal and informal)
While we think the above experience could be important, we’re keen to hear from people that believe they have valuable experience to bring to the role. If you identify with the team and mission, but not all of our requirements, then please still apply!!
The best ideas are often the least expected and require new ways of thinking; that’s why our teams at Improbable are made up of an incredible range of talented people. Improbable is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We do not discriminate based on race, ethnicity, colour, ancestry, national origin, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, marital status or any other legally protected status.