9 days ago
Tangent Animation is currently recruiting for an experienced Surfacing Supervisor to work collaboratively with our studio team. The Surfacing Supervisor is accountable for establishing the 'look' and surface qualities for props, environments, and characters while managing the assessment of effective and streamlined selections necessary to produce the preferred visual style.
• The Surfacing Supervisor, under the guidance of the VFX Supervisor and Art Director, manages the progression of the project's visual style, the design, and use of all materials and textures.
• Oversees all collective endeavors with the lighting/ shading departments to make the methods are being accomplished and procedures are tracked.
• Manage all surfacing procedures and applications in collaboration with CG, FX, rigging, lighting, and modelling Supervisors to problem-solve artistic and technical issues. Enables weekly quota delivery and optimal shot production.
• Work Together with Lighting and CG to make sure all assets are surfaced in order to achieve the intended performance needs.
• Work in Partnership with Compositors in order to achieve final delivery and render time needed.
• Supports all efforts to create the project's level of performance difficulty. Oversees the surfacing team to improve all applications and texture design innovatively and technically.
• Provide mentorship, motivates, and assists the team to continually aim for excellence within the guidelines of the production plan.
• While adhering to the productions' budget and timeline, reviews texturing procedural application with the intent of optimal performance.
• Work in Partnership with the production management team to focus on projects pending production schedule.
•Coordinates with Art Direction/ Design, Animation, Lighting & Compositing, and Rigging Departments as required.
• Accountable for overseeing the workflow within the department and achieving production schedule needs on a weekly basis.
• Clarifies and applies remarks and feedback in a timely and efficient manner
• Follows the digital file management protocols.
• Works in tandem with other studio Supervisors and Surfacing Leads to further grow department best practices.
Encourage a collaborative and fun workplace, inspiring morale, fostering purposeful discussion, and positive work ethic.
• 4 to 6 years of experience working in a more supervisory or leadership role in areas such as rigging, texturing and environment.
• Degree and/or diploma in fine arts or animation or equivalent experience preferred
• Thorough knowledge of the production process and pipeline.
• Exceptional expertise in UV mapping and texture layout using Maya.
• Superior proficiency using a variety of rendering tools including Maya, Redshift, Renderman, Substance Painter/Designer, ZBrush, Mudbox, Katana, and Nuke is required.
• Knowledge of XGen and hair grooming a plus.
• An in-depth understanding of color theory and application and excellent painting skills.
• A keen eye for detail and an exceptional sense of design
• Superior advanced surfacing techniques.
• Work together and enable feedback asked for by clients and/ or Executives.
• Lead through example by setting discipline and quality standards and regularly provide advice to your team.
• Make sure your leads are successfully operating their teams, helping resolve issues in the moment.
• Provide mentorship and dynamically nurture less experienced team members.
• Coordinate with production management to clarify production needs. Predict possible issues and problem-solve as needed.
• Exceptional organizational, time management, delegation and multi-tasking abilities.
• Outstanding problem-solving skills and capable of working collaboratively.
• Accountable for overseeing the project's surfacing needs and capacity to meet deadlines and set performance objectives.
• Excellent interpersonal skills; communicate ideas clearly and succinctly both verbally and visually.
Tangent Animation is a high-end feature animation studio focused on delivering the best creative with the industries top talent. Our locations are Winnipeg, Toronto, and Vancouver.
Tangent Animation is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all suitably qualified persons regardless of their race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation upon request for candidates taking part in the recruitment process.
We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.