Studio Technical Director - DICE
6 days ago
DICE (EA Digital Illusions Creative Entertainment), the award-winning studio based in Stockholm, Sweden, is best known for creating the phenomenally successful Battlefield franchise, the Star Wars: Battlefront franchise, and the very creative game Mirror's Edge.
We work through our 4 guiding values: Passion with Purpose, Creative Innovation, Everything Quality, and One Community. Our people are the backbone and driving force of our creative products. As such, we are dedicated to providing everyone the chance to express themselves and be their very best with a common cause.
We are looking for an experienced Studio Technical Director to lead a large and growing engineering team working on multiple titles. You will oversee all technical aspects of development at the studio and mentor/direct a team of project Technical Directors. You will collaborate with technology teams across EA to ensure the needs of DICE and our titles are met. You will also partner with the studio leadership team to help develop our studio culture.
This impactful position is a hybrid/onsite role located in Stockholm, Sweden, and reports to the DICE studio General Manager.
- Provide technical leadership to the studio, and inspire and motivate the engineering team through personal example and commitment.
- Collaborate with other main studio leaders to define our vision, mission, and strategy; then shape plans to achieve those goals.
- Build a partnership between the Battlefield studios to steer our joint technology future.
- Help improve a development culture of healthy accountability, maximizing potential, and pride in accomplishments.
- Work as part of the studio leadership team:
- Understand and help define the product vision and needs.
- Represent the studio and teams to our stakeholders.
- Balance technical, product, and company requirements to achieve successful outcomes.
- Empower and manage expectations for production & design.
- Partner with Operations Director on development processes and project planning.
- Lead the Engineering discipline, hire and grow the discipline, and provide regular coaching to Technical Directors.
- Steer studio technical standards, high-level architecture, processes, and technical budgets.
- Create a studio technical roadmap to forecast delivery dates and account for dependencies & risks.
- Approve technical designs, implementation strategies, and live service support plans.
- Ensure the quality, performance, and stability of technical deliverables meet commitments.
- Work with teams to improve efficiency by identifying bottlenecks and proposing solutions.
- Manage technical dependencies and risks.
- Collaborate and manage partnerships with internal technical partners.
- Conduct research necessary to achieve desired outcomes and evolve our technology.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- You have a BSc in Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- You hold a deep game engineering background with 10+ years of experience working on multiple titles and game engines.
- You have 5+ years of experience leading large engineering teams across multiple sites and time zones.
- You have worked across multiple platforms and hardware generations such as PC or console.
- You have developed games in the FPS, Live Service, or User Generated Content (UGC) space.
- You have a C++ coding background and additional knowledge in other languages. E.g. C#, Python, Java, and Scala to name a few.
- You have familiarity with all technical aspects of game development including client, server, and backend tech stacks.
- You have mentored and developed multiple Technical Directors.
- You have managed engineering timelines and headcount plans.
- You have worked with shared technology providers to define roadmaps and promote the needs of our studio and titles.
- You are comfortable partnering with the studio, the franchise, and our wider executives to develop technical plans.