Studio Audio Director
1 month ago
As the games division of Bad Robot Productions ( Lost, Cloverfield, Westworld, Star Wars, Star Trek ), we at Bad Robot Games are on a mission to continually reinvent how stories are played.
We are a remote-first games company represented by a diverse team, which empowers us to make the kinds of games in which all players can see themselves. Working closely with our colleagues at Bad Robot Productions, our projects unite our extensive network of games, TV, and film industry talent to create original IPs, expansive worlds and tell new stories across all media platforms which are as fun to watch as they are to play.
Bad Robot Games is looking for a Studio Audio Director who is creative, collaborative, and versatile, and excited about working on both brand new and established IP.
Are you ready?
- Work with Game Directors to create memorable and iconic universes of sound for games
- Develop audio languages and define audio style guides for teams
- Master audio for projects in your preferred audio suite
- Produce VO sessions
- Work with the Technical Director and Engineering Team to develop best practices for audio implementation
- Add sounds in the Unreal Engine for gameplay, foley, weapons, effects, vocalizations, user interface, and other aspects of games
- Plan, select and develop music for our games and projects, in collaboration with our parent studio, Bad Robot Productions
- Excite and engage others by evangelizing the audio vision for projects throughout the company
- Employ a transparent creative process with touch points involving studio leadership, other leads, and studio employees
- Create and oversee creation of high quality original sounds using a range of sound design methods
- Sample from licensed audio libraries as needed and edit files in order to create custom sounds for projects
- When applicable, work with third party foley group in order to account for specific sounds that are otherwise hard to obtain
- Identify new - and optimize existing - audio pipelines
- Actively implement and manage implementation of game audio and score in the Unreal Engine
- Direct audio reviews, collect feedback, and implement changes where needed
- Work with production to develop and maintain audio roadmaps, schedules and plans
- Oversee outsourced audio content as needed
- Participate in playtesting and providing “hands on” feedback as projects progress
- 5+ years experience in game, film, or related media audio
- 1+ shipped AAA game
- Portfolio demonstrating high quality game/film audio examples and good aesthetic sense
- Appreciation for organization, use of naming conventions, and attention to detail
- Openness and thoughtful response to valid and constructive feedback
- Mastery of audio software and DAW tools
- Expert knowledge of digital audio fundamentals and audio theory
- Knowledge and experience with audio recording equipment, Foley, and studio recording processes
- Solid understanding of audio technical budgeting and optimization best practices for games
- Excellent communication and collaboration skills to work and inspire in a team environment
- Self-motivated, strong work ethic, and able to work independently
- Creativity in problem-solving and the ability to think outside of the established solutions
- AAA game audio experience on current gen hardware
- Experience with Unreal Engine
- Composition or music skills
- Experience in code or scripting
- Experience working on a live service game
- A passion for multiplayer online gaming and a rich history of game playing across a wide variety of game genres
- Experience authoring 3D audio - specifically audio triangulation challenges in modern competitive games.
- Experience in combat/firearm recording, sampling, and mastery
- Understanding and use of music theory in production
- Experience implementing tonal and instrument layer sequencing in game for drama/impact
Competitive compensation package and benefits
- We encourage a balance in work, personal life and are proponents of health & wellness
- We provide Medical (PPO), Dental, and Vision - 100% of premiums covered for employee and eligible partner & dependents
- Our studio closes several weeks a year for true relax + refresh time in addition to holidays
- Our open time-off policy allows you to take the time off you need without worrying about vacation allotments or accruals
- Comprehensive employee assistance program
- Family and financial wellness
- Paid parental leave
- Fertility Benefits
- Short-term and long-term disability
- Flexible spending accounts for healthcare and dependent care
- Student Loan Repayment Program
- We are passionate about social impact and provide education, awareness, and outreach via Good Robot (Bad Robot’s community service and giving division)
- Allocated funds to donate to meaningful non-profit organizations
- Collaborative and casual work environment
DIVERSE AND DISTRIBUTED TEAM (REMOTE-FIRST)
- We believe our studio should be representative of the people who play our games. Our goal is to make games in which all players can see themselves.
- It’s 2021; games are being made by developers spread across the world. Our HQ is located in Santa Monica, CA, but our team collaborates from all over.
- For now, we are only accepting remote candidates in the continental USA but may be interested in changing this policy as we grow.
FUNDED, BUT INDEPENDENT:
- Backed by strategic and venture capital firms Galaxy Interactive, Horizons Ventures, Tencent, WBIE, and Iconiq, our investors believe in the future of storytelling in games and our ability to deliver on that promise.
We offer competitive salaries and compensation packages to all of our full-time hires — which includes comprehensive benefits and amazing opportunities. For more information on current career opportunities with Bad Robot Games, email email@example.com .
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and to make reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled applicants. We do not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00)
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.