Staff Software Engineer
15 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Staff Software Engineer (Generalist)
at Sony Interactive Entertainment PlayStation
San Mateo, CA
Does software engineering get you out of bed in the morning? What about the thought of taking on technical challenges that can help shape new experiences for PlayStation customers? If so, this software engineering position at Magic Lab, part of the Future Technology Group at SIE is for you! Come join us and help us explore new technology through the lens of PlayStation. We try to imagine ways new technology can have an impact on our current users or could broaden our user base, create prototypes to showcase the new possibilities, and demonstrate them to both internal stakeholders as well as to the broader community. Areas we’ve explored in recent years include eye tracking, accessibility, game spectating, and believable AI characters. We’re excited to collaborate with others, both inside and outside the company, and to help incubate promising ideas both from our team and others at SIE.
We seek an experienced software engineering generalist, who would be responsible for working with us to help define and create new prototype experiences and would not be afraid to take on any engineering problems out there. Engineering tasks range from high-level coding in Unity, Unreal Engine or Python to low-level device driver development if we’re trying to get a new piece of hardware running on a PlayStation. We are genuinely committed to the diversity of the team, so please don’t let the requirements below intimidate you: while we are looking for an experienced and capable engineer, if you can’t check every box below but you feel that you have other valuable skills to offer, we’d love to hear from you.
- Design, develop and test software for our projects
- Work with the team to help solve technical challenges
- Participate in team brainstorming ideas to come up with new creative concepts
- Work with other members of SIE and Sony to share our findings
- Bachelor's Degree in Engineering or equivalent work experience
- 5+ years of engineering experience, with a mix of high-level and low-level languages
- Demonstrated ability to learn new technologies quickly
- Excellent debugging and troubleshooting skills
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills; understanding challenges, collaboration, and promoting solutions are key to the role
- Technologies of interest include, C, C++, Python, C# and Blueprints
- Experience using game engines, such as Unity, Unreal Engine, or equivalent
- Experience with game engine internals a strong plus
- Experience with performance optimization
- Domain specific understanding in one or more of computer graphics, computer vision, machine learning, tracking, virtual reality, augmented reality, AI, and machine learning
- Experience in user experience development and design
- Hardware prototyping
- A good understanding of the gamer experience
- Experience in accessibility related projects
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.