PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play —it’s also the Best Place to Work. We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Staff Machine Learning Engineer
Future Technology Group, Game Service R&D
San Mateo, CA
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work.
We’ve thrilled gamers since 1994, when we launched the original PlayStation.
Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in interactive and digital
entertainment. The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment,
a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
The Future Technology Group are PlayStation’s technology experts. We develop
innovative technologies that push the boundaries of play, helping game
developers make the best games on PlayStation by creating a world class
As part of the Future Technology Group team, you will be working with small
focused project teams researching and implementing cutting edge technologies,
and finding ways to apply them to our platform and services.
We are looking for engineers to develop core technology and conduct cutting
edge research in speech, audio processing, Image processing and natural
language understanding. Our focus is on areas such as text-to-speech, emotion
understanding, automatic speech recognition and 3D image modelling and
conversation understanding. We expect the candidate to develop and apply AI
and deep learning algorithms, conduct experiments to optimize performance,
and build prototypes. We encourage filing patents and publish research.
- Researching state of the art technologies
- Contributing to identifying and developing the technology portfolio of future PlayStation platforms
- Performing research and sharing information internally, in relevant conferences or publications
- Developing proof of concepts and cutting-edge technology prototypes
- Anticipating technology trends and applying these to improve our existing and future PlayStation products/services
- PhD in Computer Science, Electrical Engineering or Master’s with 3 years’ experience or equivalent experience.
- Experience developing and applying machine learning/deep learning algorithms for audio or speech related tasks
- Strong technical background in Machine Learning, Math or Computer Science
- Strong coding and software engineering skills in a mainstream programming language; such as C, C++, Python, etc.
- Hands-on experience working with deep learning toolkits such as Tensorflow, PyTorch, or Keras
- Strong fundamental understanding of Machine Learning theory, architectures and cutting edge research areas
- Self-motivated and ability to work independently as well as part of a collaborative team
- Excellent spoken and written communication skills
Nice to have:
- Deep understanding and hands-on experience in speech/audio processing or generation technologies
- Expertise in Digital signal processing technologies, which may include graduate study period.
- Publications in top machine learning, speech, image or NLP conferences.
- Familiarity and interest in gaming applications.
- Experience with research communities, including having published papers at conferences
Benefits of working in the Future Technology Group
- Technology development is not constrained by specific games/engines.
- There is time and space to research and develop cutting edge technologies
- Opportunities to work on collaborative projects with R&D teams across world, and with academia
- Innovation time for research and projects of your own choosing
- Opportunities to participate in global hackathons
- Opportunity to develop your knowledge and skills by learning about the latest techniques in a team of experts with a wealth of industry experience
- Relaxed working environment with high level of trust and autonomy. All staff are encouraged to express their views and challenge the status quo
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, national origin, ancestry, citizenship, age, legally protected physical or mental disability, covered veteran status, status in the U.S. uniformed services, sexual orientation, marital status, genetic information or membership in any other legally protected category.
Reasonable Accommodation Notice Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
We sincerely appreciate the time and effort you spent in contacting us and we thank you for your interest in PlayStation.
PRIVACY NOTICE TO SIE LLC’S JOB APPLICANTS
This Privacy Notice explains what personal information we at Sony Interactive Entertainment LLC collect from you, and why we collect it and use it. This Notice covers our practices regarding the personal information of all applicants to our job positions. Please review it carefully.
Categories of personal information we collect from you
We collect personal information about you throughout the recruiting process, in particular the following categories. Generally, we obtain this information through our Recruiting Team:
A. Identification and contact information
- Direct identifiers such as your first and last name.
- Indirect identifiers such as a government ID, your Social Security, work permit or passport #.
- Contact information such as your email address, mailing address, telephone number.
B. Other information about you or that can be associated with you such as:
- Sensitive/Protected Data. During the recruitment process, you may (voluntarily) provide us with your ethnicity, gender, military service information, or physical or mental health information, as well as your national origin and citizenship.
- Professional or job position-related information , including your past professional experience, references; background verification; talent management and assessment; information regarding any conflicts of interests; and the terms and conditions of your job offer.
- Non-public education information , including information about your education records, such as grades and transcripts.