Sr. VFX Artist
Redwood City California United States
11 days ago
Sr. VFX Artist
Maxis is looking for a talented Sr. VFX Artist. We are gearing up for our next big production and we need some passionate teammates to collaborate with to bring our new characters and environments to life. If you are passionate about VFX pipelines, bringing the latest trends in technology to bear against your craft, and collaborating with others to develop best in class user experiences for new IPs … come join our team.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Work with Art Direction, Technical Partners, and Concept to develop the projects visual language with respect to VFX.
- Create the highest quality real-time visual effects, both in appearance and performance, while adhering to the project's aesthetic vision.
- Collaborate closely with Art, Design, & Animation teams to create beautiful effects that offer creative solutions to design challenges, add life to the game world, and create wow moments for the users.
- Collaborate with DD partners to map out VFX development from pre-production to production including factors such as, team, tools, & technology ramp up.
- Acknowledging our small startup team format, wear many hats, providing look dev and feature prototyping, not restricted to VFX.
- Work with Technical Art Directors, Engineers, and studio VFX Artists to develop industry leading VFX pipelines, based in visual scripting environments such as Unreal Engine’s Niagara & Blueprints or Unity VFX Graph, and supporting DCC apps [Houdini, Maya, FumeFX, Nuke, Substance Designer, etc.] .
- Develop and maintain workflows supporting a large ecosystem of multi-platform real-time effects assets.
- Collaborate with Technical & VFX Art partners across EA to develop and share pipelines and best practices.
- Contribute innovative and original ideas on all aspects of game production and development.
- Firefight production issues, resolve roadblocks, and provide creative solutions to technical challenges.
- Keep up with the latest trends and technical tools for developing effects content and inspire others thru knowledge sharing.
Qualifications and Skills
- Minimum of 5 years’ production experience using game engines to create real-time VFX with a supporting body of work.
- Served as a Senior or Lead VFX Artist on a published AAA title and have shipping experience on multiple game titles.
- Experience creating advanced real-time visual effects out of a variety of building blocks including particles, static textures, animated textures, lights, post processing, materials, meshes and shaders.
- Demonstrated experience producing effects such as smoke, fire, clouds, water, steam, and explosions.
- Excellent composition/framing skills and sense of scale, timing, detail, form, texture and color.
- Experience developing consistent visual language across an eco-system of effects.
- Ability to author stylized interpretations of real-world visual effects in accordance with our game’s art direction.
- Ability to technically deconstruct visual effects from other game and film references.
- Unreal Engine Proficiency with Cascade and/or Niagara, and generally strong at visual scripting thru node based systems.
- Proficiency with visual scripting and node based systems such as UE4 Cascade/Niagara & Blueprints or Unity VFX Graph.
- Ability to create assets within the confines of real-time engine memory and performance constraints, and the ability to optimize effects to achieve the highest visual quality.
- Experience with in engine lighting, post effects, and Physically Based shading models.
- Able to create advanced materials and effects for control in level via parameters.
- Experience with runtime dynamic systems for physics based animation, impact interactions, destruction, water, cloth & hair sim, etc.
- Excellent working knowledge of Maya, general understanding of animation/modeling/texturing and instancing pipelines.
- Expert experience creating 3D assets and materials in other packages as needed to support effects [Houdini, Nuke, Substance Designer, Photoshop, After Effects, etc. ].
- Excellent communication skills, including a meticulous and organized approach to the creation, naming and storage of the effects assets.
- Ability to work in a group as well as operate autonomously with minimal feedback and the ability to self-critique.
- Commitment to personal and peer development, sharing best practices, staying current with the state of the art in visual effects.
- Development experience on next-gen console hardware (XB1/PS4/).
- Experience using PIX, GPAD, or other GPU profiling tools.
- Experience with iOS/Android.
- Experience and comfort with one or more scripting/programming languages [Python, C#, C++].
- The ability to read and write shader source code using HLSL or GLSL.
- Background in photography, painting, concept art, or animation.
- Experience with cutting edge modeling, sculpting and animation techniques.
- Experience with Houdini, Maya Bifrost, & FumeFX.