Sr. VFX Artist - Insomniac Games
Durham, North Carolina, United States
14 days ago
Insomniac Games is searching for its next Sr. VFX Artist, responsible for creating complex FX to work and assist in gameplay, environment, and cinematics of the game. You'll also assist in mentoring, tutoring, and providing assistance to more junior artists to improve workflow, efficiency, aesthetics, and pipeline.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Creates, designs and implements real-time particle effects using both static and animating 2D/3D elements
- Places effects throughout levels and cinematics
- Paints particle and decal textures
- Creates simulations for gameplay elements
- Creates FX shaders with node-based shader networks
- Creates FX textures
- Creates simple geometry and assign UV’s
- Optimizes FX for framerate and memory
- Collaborates with other departments to ensure that FX are implemented appropriately in the game engine
- Works with Art Director to help create and maintain FX art direction for game
- Self-directed and ability to work independently: Understands and adds to the overall art style of game
- Orchestrates complex FX events involving layering and timing of different FX to create a believable scene
- Experiments with and/or evaluate techniques and/or art programs to improve efficiency, workflow, or visuals in game
- Prototypes effect concepts for gameplay and engine
- Helps guide further development of internal effects editing tools
- Other duties may be assigned
Education and/or Experience:
- Fifth year college or university program certificate; or five to seven years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Highly proficient in Maya, and in working with joints and locators, keyframing, rigid body simulations, hard surface modeling, and UV mapping.
- Highly proficient in Photoshop for painting and editing textures.
- In-depth knowledge of working with node-based shader networks.
- Strong knowledge of other visual effects software a plus.
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Suite.
If this sounds like an opportunity you'd be a good fit for, please submit your application below and be sure to include a link to your updated reel.