Sr. User Researcher, Consumer Experience
Las Vegas, Nevada, United States, Los Angeles, California, United States, Portland, Oregon, United States, San Francisco, CA, United States, Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
10 days ago
Skillz is the leading mobile games platform connecting players in fair, fun, and meaningful competition.
The gaming industry is larger than movies, music, and books, with more than 2.7 billion gamers playing monthly and 10 million developers worldwide. Mobile is the fastest-growing segment of the gaming market, expected to increase from $68 billion in 2019 to $150 billion in 2025.
As the first publicly traded mobile esports platform, Skillz has pioneered the future of the gaming industry. The Skillz platform helps developers build multi-million dollar franchises by enabling social competition in their games. Leveraging its patented technology, Skillz hosts billions of casual esports tournaments for millions of mobile players worldwide and distributes millions in prizes each month.
Through its philanthropic initiatives, Skillz has harnessed the power of its platform to transform the way nonprofits engage with donors, enabling anyone with a mobile device to support causes such as the American Red Cross, Susan G. Komen, American Cancer Society, and NAACP by playing in Skillz tournaments.
Skillz has also earned recognition as one of Fast Company’s Most Innovative Companies, a two-time winner of CNBC’s Disruptor 50, one of Forbes’ Next Billion-Dollar Startups, the #1 fastest-growing company in America on the Inc. 5000, and in May 2021, Skillz was awarded “ Best Places to Work ”.
Who we're looking for:
We want a really, really, really good Senior User Researcher. You have a formalized background in HCI or Cognitive Science. You focus on user behavior, wants/needs, motivations and attitudes, through a variety of different techniques and methods. You have a passion to make our SDK, the UI/UX you see in Skillz games, successful. As we design and build the user experience, you’ll test it with players and work with your team to prioritize improvements. If you’re a User Researcher that does generative and evaluative feedback then you know the drill, and expect you’ll be really good at it.
What You'll Do:
- Partner with and educate Product, Design, Marketing, Engineering, and Analytics teams to use actionable insights and recommendations to make data-informed decisions and improvements
- Create appropriate benchmarking of metrics (i.e. NPS, CSAT, SUPRQ, SEQ, etc.)
- Identify and recommend the best methods to answer research questions and prioritize them according to schedule and opportunity constraints
- Determine what to focus on, based on business objectives and knowledge gaps
- Actively find opportunities to improve the user experience
- Consolidate research findings into a concise, meaningful story for design and product teams
- Develop and maintain research repository
- Partner with Customer Success/Support teams to create client feedback loops
- Present your methods and rationale to peers, team partners, product partners, and design leadership
- Estimate work effort and define what you need to deliver
- Identify and conduct best method or mix-methods research activities (usability testing, user interviews, ethnographic research, contextual inquiry, surveys, etc.)
- Gather research requirements (stakeholder interviews, workshops, etc.)
- Develop research plans (includes objectives, methodology, participants, guide/script/tasks/questions/survey/etc., timeline and responsibilities)
- Create moderated and unmoderated guide/script/tasks/questions/survey/etc.
- Recruit and schedule research participants
- Analysis and synthesis of data
- Shareout of results; follow-ups/meetings to ensure data and findings are used appropriately
Who you are:
- Self-motivated, excellent organizational skills, and multitasking skills
- Years of experience with a mix of quantitative and qualitative research methods
- More than 3-5 years professional experience, with proven success working with product teams and UX designers on software interfaces
- BS degree in Social Sciences, HCI, Cognitive Psychology or similar areas (Master’s degree a plus) or equivalent work experience
- Deep practical experience with various research methods
- Advanced ability to articulate and visualize both qualitative and qualitative results
- Experience working firsthand with design and product teams
- Ability to develop creative, flexible and rapid approaches to user experience problems
Skillz embraces diversity and is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. As part of our commitment to diversifying our workforce, we do not discriminate on the basis of age, race, sex, gender, gender identity, color, religion, national origin, sexual orientation, marital status, citizenship, veteran status, or disability status, and we operate in compliance with the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance.