Sr. Technical Program Manager, AZoth Backend Teams (Games)
2 days ago
Amazon Games is looking for a talented and driven senior Technical Program Manager that will maintain and uphold the "AZoth" core development technologies for our studio videogame titles. This person will partner primarily with engineers to build the tools, technologies and cloud services that are foundational to the game experiences built on top of them. They will own weekly planning and multi-month schedules and initiatives across multiple scrum teams; always looking for opportunities for process and organizational improvements that increase efficiency and raise quality. They will utilize their communication skills to effectively collaborate and influence their peers and executives resulting in the delight of the customers. They will work closely with multiple software development managers to guide the work of several core technology engineers.
Join us in creating and extending our studio's "AZoth" game technology for our hit PC title New World and beyond. Our proprietary technology is 100% owned-and-operated exclusively by our team in support of our Amazon Games games and customers. You will be joining a group of talented and passionate technologists who are developing and improving our game backend tech to meet the ever-growing needs of our player customers, our game developers, and new game ideas. We are looking for natural problem solvers with a passion for gaming, enjoys finishing projects in a timely manner, and is a constant advocate for continuous improvement of our technology and services.
Key job responsibilities
About the teamThe "AZoth Backend Team" has a primary development hub in Irvine, CA; we also have satellite studios in San Diego, CA and Seattle, WA. Come join our teams at one of these locations!At Amazon, we believe in ground-breaking games that can redefine the boundaries of player experience. Come work alongside talented industry veterans, including key contributors from dozens of titles including Overwatch, World of Warcraft, Evolve, Gears of War, Killer Instinct, God of War.Inclusive Culture, Work/Life Balance, & Career GrowthWe embrace our differences and are committed to furthering our culture of inclusion. We offer ten employee-led affinity groups with 190 global chapters, innovative benefits, and annual and ongoing learning experiences (including our Conversations on Race and Ethnicity (CORE) and AmazeCon (gender diversity) conferences). Our team also puts a high value on work-life balance and offers flexible working hours. We believe striking the right balance between your personal and professional life is critical to life-long happiness and fulfillment. Additionally, our team is dedicated to supporting you with mentorship and pathways for ongoing development. We have a broad mix of experience levels and tenures, and are building an environment that celebrates knowledge sharing and promotes career choice.
- Project manage three teams of engineers creating game Server infrastructure, game Services, and DevOps tools that allow our content teams to make amazing games.
- Fulfill the role of project manager for your teams using task management software and scheduling techniques that are a blend of agile development methods.
- Partner with technical leads (SDMs) to maximize the productivity of their engineers while helping to inform and guide development towards helping our game development partners make cool stuff. Assist in the development and maintenance of on-call rotations for engineers.
- Coordinate with partner teams in product gameplay and games publishing to deliver the right end-to-end customer experience in line with their release schedules.
- Generate documentation, schedules, reports that help make reasonable and firm development commitments for the team, whilst over-delivering on expectations wherever possible.
- Assist in creating the long-term development roadmap for your teams as they work on delivering multi-year improvements to our game products and gameplay development customers.
- Obsess about the games our technology is fueling, and participate in quality control over development in area of ownership, working with senior developers in all crafts.
- Partner with QA experts to ensure all issues are known and quickly resolved.
- 5+ years of professional experience in project management of game development, game server/cloud or licensed game development technology.
- At least one released game or licensed game technology SDK on which you were a primary contributor.
- Great communication skills and ability to work effectively on shared projects with engineers, designers, artists, testers, and other developers.
- Experience managing more than one scrum/agile software development team simultaneously.
Meets/exceeds Amazon’s leadership principles requirements for this role.Amazon is committed to a diverse and inclusive workplace. Amazon is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, protected veteran status, disability, age, or other legally protected status. For individuals with disabilities who would like to request an accommodation, please visit https://www.amazon.jobs/en/disability/us.Our compensation reflects the cost of labor across several US geographic markets. The base pay for this position ranges from $119,000/year in our lowest geographic market up to $231,400/year in our highest geographic market. Pay is based on a number of factors including market location and may vary depending on job-related knowledge, skills, and experience. Amazon is a total compensation company. Dependent on the position offered, equity, sign-on payments, and other forms of compensation may be provided as part of a total compensation package, in addition to a full range of medical, financial, and/or other benefits. Applicants should apply via our internal or external career site.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
- PMP, PMI-ACP certification or Certified Scrum Master
- Experience managing teams working with videogame development engine level systems (rendering, audio, streaming, physics, etc), cloud infrastructure/services or DevOps, or equivalent licensed game development technologies.
- Experience in managing the development of large scale game worlds and/or game world content creation tools
- Technical Program Management background (CS degree or equivalent engineering experience)