Sr. Technical Director, Tools
Sherman Oaks California 91403 United States of America
15 days ago
Job Title:Sr. Technical Director, Tools
Job Title: Sr. Technical Director, Tools
Reporting To: Vice President of Tech, Central Tech
Department: Central Tech
Activision Central Tech works to support our development studios and their titles. Comprised of seven main teams, we have many specialties including big data, privacy and security, motion capture and animation pipeline technologies, graphics, build and infrastructure for studio development and data centers, optimization, systems programming and online services including matchmaking and networking. Central Tech is distributed globally with offices across the U.S., and in Canada, England, Ireland and Japan.
Most of our teams are comprised of both engineering and research talent, allowing us to always have an eye on the future. Our talented engineers help with title development and provide valuable knowledge sharing between studios while our researchers are action-oriented and keep a strong connection with the needs of the game studios.
Central Tech is part of Activision. To learn more about us and our research, please visit us at https://research.activision.com/.
Activision Central Tech is looking for a hands-on Tools Technical Director to help lead innovations around build pipelines, automation, and testing, in partnership with multiple Activision studios and titles.
You, the ideal candidate, thrive on challenges like building new and better build and CI pipelines, introducing new ways of testing to increase robustness, making team build deployments an instantaneous process, improving and finding deep-rooted problems in existing tools, scaling processes to the cloud, and Puppetizing of all the things.
You constantly seek new innovative solutions and systems, but you also reject most from a position of pragmatism. You see the big picture, but you know that the details matter. You understand the tradeoffs between ambition and risk. You walk and chew gum at the same time.
- Innovate and introduce new technologies, practices, processes, tools, and systems in areas like
- Automation, robustness, testing, deployment, architecture and configuration, scaling
- Proactively seek improvements to existing tools and production pipelines
- Measure and identify bottlenecks and key issues
- Seek root causes of problems
- Help resolve scaling and stability issues
- Collaborate with first-party studio stakeholders
- Mentor other engineers in areas of domain expertise and best practices
- Experience with large software projects, ideally building both code and large data sets
- Expertise and comfortability in both Windows and Linux
- Strong programming and scripting skills in C++, Python, and other languages
- Familiarity with a wide variety of open source technologies
- Working knowledge of continuous integration platform (Jenkins, TeamCity, etc.)
- Experience with automation/configuration management tools (Puppet, Chef, Salt, etc.)
- Experience with virtualization, containerization, scaling (KVM, Rancher, Docker, AWS, etc.)
- Experience with database technologies (PostgreSQL, NoSQL, Redis, etc.)
- Bachelor's or Master's degree in computer science, computer engineering, or other technical discipline, or equivalent work experience
Activision Blizzard, Inc. (NASDAQ: ATVI), is one of the world's largest and most successful interactive entertainment companies and is at the intersection of media, technology and entertainment. We are home to some of the most beloved entertainment franchises including Call of Duty®, World of Warcraft®, Overwatch®, Diablo®, Candy Crush™ and Bubble Witch™. Our combined entertainment network delights hundreds of millions of monthly active users in 196 countries, making us the largest gaming network on the planet!
Our ability to build immersive and innovate worlds is only enhanced by diverse teams working in an inclusive environment. We aspire to have a culture where everyone can thrive in order to connect and engage the world through epic entertainment. We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered!
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
Activision is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, national origin, protected veteran status, or any other basis protected by applicable law and will not be discriminated against on the basis of disability.