Sr. Manager, Production - Unpublished R&D Product
8 days ago
The Sr. Manager, Production is responsible for ensuring the members of the cross-disciplined teams can effectively move products and features through the development cycle and out to players. This includes developing and executing the operational strategy of your product, driving the “how” of the work that happens on its various teams. You’re obsessed with understanding how the needs of the audience, the direction of the business, the health of the team and the critical elements of its products are translated into action. In early R&D (prototype) you work closely with the Executive Producer and the Game/Product Director to make sure the approach to work on the business is well-defined, that its talent systems are effectively adhered to, that resources are allocated appropriately, and that the product vision is being delivered via thoughtful milestone planning. If the project moves to Pre-Production you will report into the team’s Operations Director and help scale the team and its processes.
As a Sr Manager, Production on the Research & Development team you will help organize and deliver one of Riot’s new game projects through to production. You will work closely across all disciplines to ensure the project team is highly adaptable, efficient, and effective. You will be responsible for a range of activities from being a scrum master, JIRA owner to helping design the work system for an initiative or product. You must have an entrepreneurial spirit and a growth mindset because the product will be going through rapid growth and you will need to be adaptive and very engaged to meet the changing needs of the product. Furthermore, as an R&D producer you need to accept the possibility that the project might be cancelled or significantly pivoted at any point in the lifecycle.
- Accountable for developing and executing the operational strategy of the Product
- Help develop the work systems used throughout the business unit, including how teams are structured, whether and how they report status back to the business unit, and how multi-team work is coordinated
- Ensuring all teams in the business unit make and meet commitments
- Develop accountability rituals wherein teams review their commitments/delivery and hold each other accountable for them, celebrate successes, and learn from failures
- Maintaining efficient work practices like owning JIRA and performing scrum management.
- Develop systems to ensure problems with delivery are regularly and quickly diagnosed and addressed
- Ensure stakeholders and customers are always up-to-date on what’s going on in terms of what commitments have been made and how the delivery is going
- Understand the capabilities of the business unit and how those match to its strategies in order to plan for current work and future needs
- Inform the other members of the leadership team in choosing how to grow and allocate the workforce of the business unit
- As necessary, partner with the Talent organization to ensure that Riot’s talent processes are implemented effectively on the business unit (e.g., performance management, compensation, and promotion systems are consistent and applied based on Talent and Department standards)
- Ensure that conflicts within and between teams are resolved effectively
- Ensure psychological safety, healthy feedback culture and conflict management within and between teams
- 7+ years of experience in a dynamic professional environment such as games, tech, entertainment/media, law, finance, consulting, medicine, advanced degree programs, etc.
- 4+ years of game development experience, in a leadership position, working directly on the production of the game (not only supporting services or features).
- 2+ years of experience managing teams at the initiative level
- Experience with various development methodologies and their applications (e.g. Agile software development, Six Sigma, etc.)
- Deep knowledge of games, relevant gaming audiences, and the game industry
- Experience leading and functioning in ambiguous, collaborative environments with team members of several levels and disciplines
- Experience maintaining excellent relationships with stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability in product management and using prioritization schemes
- 7+ years of experience in game development experience
- 4+ years of experience in a leadership role shipping games
- 2+ years of experience managing a co-development or outsourcing relationship
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).