Sr. Manager, Business Strategy - Esports (VAL)
13 days ago
In 2009, Riot released its debut title League of Legends which has since gone on to become the most played PC game in the world. During this time, Riot has developed League of Legends into the largest esport on earth, and the fastest growing sport in the last decade. You will be joining an R&D esports team tasked with carrying on Riot’s track record of success in esports by building a new esport around an unpublished R&D title. We are responsible for designing the foundational structure of the sport, operating major international tournaments, defining global policies, selecting strategic partners, crafting a revenue and fan growth strategy and coordinating local esports ecosystems. Our mission is to build the next global sport. That’s where you come in.
As the Senior Manager of Strategy, VALORANT Esports you will work as part of a cross-functional team to establish and implement strategies to develop the VALORANT Esports ecosystem. Reporting into the Global Head of VALORANT Esports, you will be responsible for driving the sport’s strategy and developing insights from both commercial and competitive perspectives.
You will lead a team of business strategists and project managers to research, ideate, and implement novel commercial, fan engagement, and competition strategies to support VALORANT’s continued growth as one of the world’s leading esports.
You will ensure the strategic landscape is well-defined, that challenges and opportunity spaces are identified and prioritized, and that leadership is armed with the insights to drive the best decisions for the long term health of the sport. You will be a source of innovation to guide esports forward at Riot — embracing partnership internally and externally, fostering growth in the ecosystem, and creating new approaches to face the challenges of the future.
- You will work with cross-functional leaders and stakeholders in Esports to develop an overarching strategy for VALORANT Esports, and set clear goals for the business.
- You will lead a team of business strategists and project managers to track and measure KPIs, research novel opportunity spaces, and implement strategic initiatives.
- You will collaborate closely with teams across the Riot esports organization, including regional offices, Competitive Operations, Insights and Analytics, Finance, Publishing, Business Operations, and Business Development to set team-specific KPIs that ladder up both into the wider VALORANT Esports strategy, and the wider Riot esports vision to delight billions of fans globally.
- You will collaborate closely with regional teams, Competitive Operations, and Insights to assess and evolve the structure of the ecosystem, from season formats to tournament structure and more.
- You will partner closely with the VALORANT game team to ensure strategic alignment across product, event, publishing, and monetization efforts.
- You will help to evolve the business model for VALORANT Esports, optimizing for sustainability for our leagues as well as the various partners in the ecosystem.
- You will use both internal and external data sources and insights to find opportunities, track results, and drive decision-making around product and fans’ experience.
- You will be a subject matter expert and trusted advisor, helping teams prioritize, negotiate and remove obstacles to ensure high-quality outputs.
- You have 6+ years of experience in sports consulting or strategy consulting
- You have a minimum of 2+ years experience managing teams
- You have experience defining goals and building data instrumentation to track results.
- You have experience effectively collaborating with partners, both internal and external, and driving results.
- You are a fan of sports or esports.
- You have proven expertise in the esports or sports business.
- You have a deep understanding of the esports landscape, particularly within the FPS genre
- You have experience working within a global organization
We offer medical, dental, and vision plans that cover you, your spouse/domestic partner, and children. Life insurance, parental leave, plus short-term and long-term disability coverage are also available. Riot will support your retirement benefits with a company match, and double down on your donations of time and money to non-profit charitable organizations. Balance between work and personal life is encouraged with open paid time off, and a play fund so you can broaden and deepen your personal relationship with games.
It’s our policy to provide equal employment opportunity for all applicants and members of Riot Games, Inc. Riot Games makes reasonable accommodations for handicapped and disabled Rioters and does not unlawfully discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, handicap, veteran status, marital status, criminal history, or any other category protected by applicable federal and state law, including the City of Los Angeles’ Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring Ordinance relating to an applicant's criminal history (LAMC 189.00).
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.