Sr. Java Engineer
15 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sr. Software Engineer (Java)
Los Angeles, CA
The Senior Software Engineer is responsible for design and implementation of interactive web-based services in innovative ways. You will be building and improving Java code as well as providing software for the PlayStation Network. This extraordinary network provides online services for the PS4, Web, PS3, PSP, Vita, Tablets, mobile phones, PC, Bravia TVs and more. We build large internal enterprise applications which integrate and support such fun services as Movie/TV Show streaming, PSN gaming commerce and much more. Our environment is high energy, agile and we use some of the latest tools out there.
The primary role for this position will be to work the design and development of back-end applications and components and the integration with third party systems. We are looking for a skilled Java developer with experience in full life-cycle application development and systems integration. This person will work with peers on the development of large scale systems that support other Sony's businesses in the digital content area. The role will primarily be focused on development of projects. This entails architecture, coding, unit testing, bug fixing and assistance in the deployment to production as well as maintenance knowledge transfers.
- You will communicate with members of the Technology group by providing status, identifying and raising issues and participating in planning activities.
- Write Java code for internal application development
- Write and execute unit tests using the JUnit framework
- Apply and help refine coding standards, & create required documentation including low-level design documents
- Ownership of the implementation and delivery of mid-size to large features
- Design mid-size features or implement more complex features as designed by technical lead
- Communicate estimates, schedules, issues and dependencies to technical or project lead
- Increase expertise in the areas of development related to the assigned projects
- Identify and address issues independently
- Fix bugs and provide support for business and maintenance teams
- Refactor existing code base and improve overall quality of code
- Perform knowledge shares
- Boldly improve development processes
- Participate in the establishment of standard methodologies
- Proven experience with Java and java-based web application development
- Demonstrated ability with RDBMS and writing SQL queries
- Demonstrated ability with XML related technologies (XML, XSL, JAXP) and JSON
- Demonstrated ability with RESTful APIs
- Experience with object modeling, analysis and design
- Experience with MVC technologies
- Experience using source control systems (e.g. Git, Perforce, etc…)
- Experience using JUnit and other testing frameworks
- Demonstrated experience developing and delivering both consumer facing web based solutions and intranet/extranet type applications for internal users and partners
- Excellent communication skills with both technical and non-technical team members
- Experience using Linux or UNIX-variant operating systems
- Experience with advanced web UI technologies (e.g. JQuery, AngularJs, ReactJs)
- Experience with Oracle, MySQL/Aurora database
- Experience with hosting applications in AWS/cloud
- Experience in SCRUM/Agile methodologies
- Bachelor’s Degree in Computer Science or related field, or relevant professional experience
- Experience with Hibernate
- Experience with Spring framework
- Experience developing shell or Perl scripts
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.