Sr. Concept Artist
Sacramento California United States
3 days ago
“Who is EA Capital Games?”
We’re a mobile game studio located in Midtown Sacramento, home to the highly successful title Star Wars: Galaxy of Heroes, the most successful Star Wars mobile game ever released, charting as the #1 grossing game in over 35 countries, and one of the Top 40 grossing games in the entire world across Apple and Google.
Collectively, we are a close-knit group of passionate gamers, obsessed with the creation of genre-defining mobile RPGs, and the vibrant live services necessary to support them. Our team culture is friendly, fast-paced, results-focused, and collaborative. We take our work – but not ourselves – very seriously.
While walking the halls of our brand-new 31,000 sqft studio, you’ll hear the cacophony of epic console competitions, lively debates, and the rattle of dice thrown across a game board. Game nights, happy hours, weekend adventures, and a dog friendly atmosphere are all elements of who we are.
Capital Games is seeking an experienced Lead/Sr. Concept Artist to join our team.
As a Lead / Sr. Concept Artist, you will create amazing concept art that fuels the entire project. You will be a cornerstone of the art team and lead the concept department, creating appealing art at a very high-quality level. Working with the art director, you will help bring the game’s impressive vision to life by translating fantastic real-world type settings into immersive mobile game experiences. Breakdown guides, key art, lighting comps, and exploratory concepts are your tools. You will partner with other concept artists, guiding the process and mentoring while remaining open to new ideas, treating all with respect and maturity. The preferred candidate is down to earth and eager to work in a highly collaborative environment guided by strong art goals and pillars.
Our game has a fresh and unique stylized art style, and you need to be able to both execute and expand upon it. Your job is to ensure extremely clear visual directions are crafted from a variety of inputs, from level design to real-world reference to technical requirements.
You also need a strong eye for detail, not only in art but in communication and planning. As a lead/senior concept artist, the project depends on your ability to adequately anticipate needs and solve challenges as they arise, documenting processes and ensuring pipelines are adhered to. This is your chance to be responsible for and own a critical part of the game creation process.
- Mobile first artist with demonstrable ability directing high quality, widely appealing environments, on device
- Ability to work in 3D, including an understanding of 3D forms and environmental lighting
- Demonstrable lighting and palette skills in a variety of situations and styles
- Strong understanding of asset creation pipelines and the ability to inform their work
- Ability to translate real-world reference into caricatured and stylized forms
- Ability to create in-depth style guides and workbooks
- Work with OS partners in a collaborative manner, delivering actionable feedback and direction
- Organize, schedule, and manage the Concept department's deliverables
- Partner with the Environment department to create a strong working relationship and pipeline
Required Skills/Personal Requirements
- 3D skills in Maya/Blender/3DSMax/Zbrush
- Experience Unity
- Traditional painting ability, and the ability to break down such work
- Storytelling and concept development ability
- Distinct and high-quality material rendering experience is a plus
- Strong rendering skills in architecture, tech, and with the human form
- Demonstrable renderings of high-quality materials, from human to machine, fabrics to metals
- Ability to create art in a specific definable style and ability.
- Effective visual communicator capable of creating visual style guilds to articulate a visual aesthetic to other artists.
- Mobile game or ‘casual’ game style art experience
- Ability to problem solve 3D environmental challenges
- Work demonstrating the ability to translate complex real-world forms to appealing, mobile centric art
- Strong understanding of asset creation pipelines from start to finish, including the creation of spec sheets and OS guide
“Tell me about Sacramento.”
Sacramento hosts an approachable metropolitan lifestyle, where home can be established for anyone from the singleton who wants to live downtown, to the family whose top priorities are a yard and great schools, all within a reasonable commute to our studio. The city fosters a vibrant urban culture through weekend street festivals, professional sports teams, bustling farmer’s markets, wonderful eateries, and award-winning craft breweries and coffee roasters. If connecting with nature is more your vibe, the Sierras are in our backyard in addition to many local hiking and biking trails.
“What’s in it for me?”
Glad you asked! We love to brag about our great perks like free food, hosted happy hours, annual camping adventures, comprehensive health and benefit packages, tuition reimbursement, company matched retirement, and many others! And since we realize it takes world-class people to make world-class games, we offer competitive compensation packages and a culture that thrives off of creativity and individuality.
EA is an equal opportunity employer. All employment decisions are made without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, genetic information, religion, disability, medical condition, pregnancy, marital status, family status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law. We will also consider for employment qualified applicants with criminal records in accordance with applicable law. EA also makes workplace accommodations for qualified individuals with disabilities as required by applicable law.