Sr Character Concept Artist
15 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Join the award-winning team that created God of War
Santa Monica Studio is seeking an experienced concept artist for the development of a new unannounced title! As a Senior Character Concept Artist, you would help us visualize dynamic and believable characters that set the bar for creativity and complexity on the PlayStation console.
Do you want to contribute to the artistic vision, working with art teams to establish the tone of the game, and bring it to life? As a member of the world-class character team, you must effectively collaborate with the Art Director, Game Director, and Art Leads to develop concepts for our cast that are visually spectacular and engaging while also working with a wide range of development team members to ensure technical feasibility. Help us craft unique visuals that define our industry!
- Design characters, props, production callouts, system interacts, high vision concept art, color scripts, marketing material and other visual guides and tasks as needed to assist the development team
- Combine the goals of game design, art direction, and technological considerations to help build industry defining characters.
- Research and initiate information gathering of pertinent subject matter to your task
- Develop and maintain strong creative and collaborative partnerships across subject areas to help further develop the in-game characters, visual language, and rule sets for fantasy-based worlds.
- Solve complex artistic development issues for artists as well as other team members
- Actively improve your skills and maintain an awareness of industry techniques, tools, evaluate competitive products, learning new software packages and traditional art methods
- Serve as an artistic resource for overall product or as a studio resource. This includes, but is not limited to conducting general research, developing ground breaking techniques, or testing new systems and tools
- Strong command of foundation art skills (drawing, painting and rendering, material indication, perspective, composition, color theory, design, anatomy and 2d and 3d design techniques)
- Strong design skills with the ability to render realistic believable fantasy-based characters, creatures, and props using contemporary industry standard tools and techniques.
- Strong ideation, brainstorming and documentation skills
- Proficiency in Photoshop with an emphasis on drawing, painting and image making. 3D modeling and sculpting skills are not required but are a plus
- Strong time management and prioritization skills. This entails collaborating with the Production group to coordinate task lists to ensure assignments are progressing well according to schedules, objectives, and overall project goals
- Familiarity with video game product development and the fundamentals of 3D packages
- Good communication, organizational, and interpersonal skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in Fine Arts or relevant curriculum or equivalent skillset
- Minimum 3 years of AAA video game platform experience with two or more published titles is desirable
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.