Special Effects Artist
Toronto ON ca
2 days ago
Special Effects Artist
As the Special Effects Artist, you will be responsible for the design, creation and implementation of basic special effects, while respecting all technological limitations, deadlines, and following the artistic direction of the production.
Type of Position: Permanent, full-time.
The main and routine functions of the Special Effects Artist are to:
- Become familiar with game design documents, and identify special effects opportunities and needs;
- Check with programmers to see if the intended effects are viable in the engine, and propose alternative solutions and/or developments where needed;
- Assist with the development of effects tools or other improvements to the effects pipeline;
- Gather reference images/videos matching desired effects, to be approved by the Artistic Director;
- Design, create and implement custom and re-usable “real-time” particle effects for gameplay, cinematics and scripted events;
- Create simulations/animations to be used for gameplay elements;
- Create textures for particles effects and related decals;
- Create effects that respect budget and engine constraints;
- Model special effects elements as needed;
- Place level/character-specific effects;
- Check effect quality once imported into the game, and make improvements where needed;
- Obtain feedback/approval of created effects from the Artistic Director, and make improvements where needed;
- Communicate closely and regularly with the Artistic Director, Production Manager, and other departments to ensure a smooth effects pipeline;
- Complete tasks in a timely manner;
- Maintain a clear, methodical system of data storage and retrieval of effects;
- Address bugs identified by testers or other technicians;
- Log effects-related bugs;
- Carry out all other related tasks.
- College diploma in game-oriented visual effects, or equivalent training.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience creating particle simulations;
- Must be proficient in Photoshop and have a good understanding of 3D animation packages;
- Experience with modeling, texturing, and lighting;
- Knowledge of other visual effects software a plus.
- Good observation and problem-solving skills;
- Attention to detail;
- Good sense of dynamic timing;
- Team Player;
- Able to take constructive criticism and keep up with changes;
- Have initiative and be proactive;
- Able to work under pressure;
- Being creative (originality and resourceful in finding solutions).
· Competitive Salary
· Comprehensive Benefits Package:
o Disability Insurance
o Dental Insurance
o Extended medical insurance
o (Optional) RRSP contribution
o Relocation assisstance
o Bonus (If Applicable)
Why Ubisoft Toronto?
Scored by The Economist as the Best City to Live, our studio is located in the trendy Junction Triangle located in West Toronto, close to TTC, the hottest bars and restaurants, and excellent coffee shops. We celebrate successes as a team at our monthly UbiBash events, and invite our families to events throughout the year including our annual Kids Holiday Party. We give back to help make our community better through our team volunteer days and fundraising activities. We hold regular game jams to fuel our team’s creativity. Ubisoft Toronto conducts annual performance reviews to help our team develop their careers and grow with our studio, and provides the opportunity for salary increases annually as part of the performance review process. Ubisoft Toronto also offers a comprehensive health benefits package, generous RRSP matching, industry education support, training and career development, flexible days, on-site Yoga and Bootcamp classes, fresh fruit, Life Drawing classes, as well as spontaneous team surprises such as Pi Day, Star Wars Day, and Halloween.
We hunt for talent from across the industry – seasoned experts that know what it takes to ship world-class games and the next generation of game developer all-stars. We value team chemistry and a desire to grow our studio together. If this sounds like your kind of studio, what are you waiting for? Apply to join us now!
Ubisoft Toronto is an equal opportunity employer and welcomes applications from all interested parties. The studio welcomes and encourages applications from people with disabilities. We are committed to providing reasonable accommodation upon request for candidates taking part in the recruitment process. We thank you for your interest, however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted. No agencies please.
All your information will be kept confidential according to EEO guidelines.
Ubisoft Toronto Inc.
224 Wallace Avenue. M6H 1V7
Location of position: Toronto, Ontario
Ubisoft is committed to enriching players’ lives with original and memorable gaming experiences. We create worlds where people can express themselves, explore, and discover new possibilities.
Are you looking to work with enthusiastic experts who are tackling game-changing challenges in entertainment and beyond? At Ubisoft, we offer an open environment where bright ideas are given a chance to shine and everyone is eager to share knowledge.
Challenge accepted? Join us and Create the Unknown.
Ubisoft Toronto was founded in 2010 and has contributed to many award-winning Ubisoft brands including: Assassin’s Creed®, Far Cry®, For HonorTM, Tom Clancy’s Splinter Cell®, and Watch Dogs®. In 2018, Ubisoft Toronto developed its first new IP, Starlink: Battle for Atlas. Ubisoft Toronto is one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers for four consecutive years and in 2018, one of GamesIndustry.biz Best Places to Work.