Software Engineering Manager - Kingdoms of Heckfire (Remote in Canada)
5 days ago
Check out this video to hear why our senior engineers like working at A Thinking Ape.
WHAT IS A THINKING APE?
A Thinking Ape builds communities through mobile games with emergent social play and original IP. We released our first game in 2009 and have been profitable and growing every year since. We are a bottom-up driven company with small teams that have a big focus on ownership and data driven decision making. Our portfolio of games is growing. We are scaling our infrastructure and entering new markets to capitalize on this growth and bring our games to more players.
WHAT IS THE ROLE?
As a Software Engineering Manager , you drive the technical vision and implementation for one of our most successful games, Kingdoms of Heckfire. You lead the growth of Kingdoms of Heckfire from the population of a small city to that of an entire country.
WHAT WILL YOU DO AS A SOFTWARE ENGINEERING MANAGER?
You are responsible for the technical direction and implementation of Kingdoms of Heckfire, which is built in Unity with a Python + MySQL based microservice backend. This includes:
- Growing and guiding the careers of the 4 to 6 engineers reporting to you
- Leading the technical project management for the team, including task prioritization and progress tracking
- Developing tools to amplify the productivity of game designers, artists, and engineers
- Establishing patterns and processes for the development, testing and deployment of features and systems
- Contributing to the hiring of engineers company wide
- Coordinating with our User Acquisition, Tools, and Data Science teams to push our games to new heights
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
The primary qualifications we’re looking for are:
- You're a full stack generalist engineer with the ability to drive the development of both client and server side implementations of mobile games
- You've led an engineering team, and levelled up engineers through management and mentorship
Other qualifications that help are:
- You're familiar with building Unity-based mobile games
- You have experience working on a live mobile product and a strong understanding of mobile application architecture and content pipelines
- You have extensive knowledge of relational database design and operation
- You have experience with data analysis, KPI impact analysis and metrics-based decision making
- You have project management experience and the ability to prioritize product needs against timelines, constraints, and product KPIs
WHILE EVERYONE ON OUR TEAM IS DIFFERENT, TO THRIVE HERE YOU SHOULD:
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail–you experiment and learn from your mistakes
We have committed to a remote first approach with optional access to our studio in Vancouver. This means our roles are open to candidates who can work in Canada between the core hours of 11am - 4pm PST. We are open to help relocate the successful candidate to Canada.
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU?
At ATA you’re offered a flexible, safe, inclusive environment in which you have the autonomy to do your best work, surrounded by a strong team and with the encouragement of supportive leadership that doesn’t just care what you’re doing, but how you’re doing. You’re trusted, respected, listened to, cared for and valued. You take on thought-provoking projects and tackle fun problems alongside people who are equally invested in making meaningful contributions and seeing new ideas come to life. You know how your work aligns with the company’s goals. Your career is given the space and resources to progress. You accomplish things that make you proud. You are compensated competitively, your health and wellbeing are top priorities and you enjoy plenty of perks. You build communities, take ownership, have wonderful arguments, let the best ideas win and keep growing. You don’t just work for ATA, you are an integral part of ATA.
OUR COMMITMENT TO INCLUSION
At ATA we build communities. But community extends beyond our players: it also encompasses our employees and candidates. We support diversity in the workplace and always strive for inclusion. Part of this is selfish; we believe we’ll make better decisions if we’re able to tap into a variety of different perspectives. But we also care that our employees and candidates feel valued and comfortable being themselves. Please consider applying even if you don't meet every qualification. Experience comes in many forms and we value adding diverse perspectives to our teams.
DISCOVER EVEN MORE
Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today, and learn about our culture by following @athinkingape on social. Yo u can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA CEO & Co-Founder, talk about what it’s like to work here .
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.