This job might no longer be available.
Software Engineering Lead - Live Operations
A Thinking Ape
Vancouver, British Columbia
1 year ago
WHAT IS A THINKING APE?
A Thinking Ape builds communities through mobile games with emergent social play and original IP. We released our first game in 2009 and have been profitable and growing every year since. We are a bottom-up driven company with small teams that have a big focus on ownership and data driven decision making. Our portfolio of games are growing. We are scaling our infrastructure and entering new markets to capitalize on this growth and bring our games to more players.
WHAT IS THE ROLE?
As a Software Engineering Lead, you will drive the technical vision and implementation for our world-class live operations team, Leviathan. You will help lead the growth of Kingdoms of Heckfire, Party in my Dorm, and Kingdoms at War from the population of small cities to that of entire countries.
WHAT WILL YOU DO AS A SOFTWARE ENGINEERING LEAD?
You will be responsible for the technical direction and implementation of all ATA games in live operations. The game backends are built with a Django + MySQL server architecture, while the frontend clients are built using Unity or native iOS/Android depending on the product. You will also:
- Grow and guide the careers of the 6 to 8 engineers reporting to you.
- Lead the technical project management for the team, including task prioritization and progress tracking.
- Develop tools as well as data and content pipelines to amplify the productivity of game designers, artists, and engineers.
- Establish best practices and processes for the development, testing and deployment of code.
- Oversee the engineering resources for your team, and contribute to the hiring of engineers company wide.
- Interact and coordinate with our User Acquisition, Tools, and Data Science teams to push your games to new heights.
WHO ARE WE LOOKING FOR?
The primary qualifications we’re looking for are:
- You are a full stack engineer with the ability to drive the development of both client and server side implementations of mobile games.
- You have led an engineering team, leveling up other engineers through management and mentorship.
Other qualifications that help are:
- You are familiar with building Unity-based mobile games.
- You have experience working on a live mobile product and a strong understanding of mobile application architecture and content pipelines.
- You have extensive knowledge of relational database design and structure.
- You have experience with data analysis, KPI impact analysis and metrics based decision making.
- You have project management experience with the ability to prioritize product needs against timelines for implementation, resourcing constraints, and current product KPIs.
While everyone on our team is different, to thrive here you should...
- Be self motivated, take pride in your work and enjoy huge amounts of ownership
- Set aside your ego and have wonderful arguments with your coworkers in order to create something better than any one person could individually
- Challenge your own assumptions and use data to make decisions whenever possible
- Be passionate about teaching others what you know and continuing your own growth every day
- Not be afraid to fail, you experiment and learn from your mistakes
WHAT'S IN IT FOR YOU
At ATA you’re offered a flexible, safe, inclusive environment in which you have the autonomy to do your best work, surrounded by a strong team and with the encouragement of supportive leadership that doesn’t just care what you’re doing, but how you’re doing. You’re trusted, respected, listened to, cared for and valued. You take on thought-provoking projects and tackle fun problems alongside people who are equally invested in making meaningful contributions and seeing new ideas come to life. You know how your work aligns with the company’s goals. Your career is given the space and resources to progress. You accomplish things that make you proud. You are compensated competitively, your health and wellbeing are top priorities and you enjoy plenty of perks. You build communities, take ownership, have wonderful arguments, let the best ideas win and keep growing. You don’t just work for ATA, you are an integral part of ATA.
OUR COMMITMENT TO INCLUSION
At ATA we build communities. But community extends beyond our players: it also encompasses our employees and candidates. We support diversity in the workplace and always strive for inclusion. Part of this is selfish; we believe we’ll make better decisions if we’re able to tap into a variety of different perspectives. But we also care that our employees and candidates feel valued and comfortable being themselves. We are proud of the wonderful people, workplace and culture that ATA has fostered since its inception.
DISCOVER EVEN MORE
Check out our story to find out how we got to where we are today, and learn about our culture by following @athinkingape on social. You can also listen to Kenshi Arasaki, ATA CEO & Co-Founder, talk about what it’s like to work here .