Software Engineering, AR Research
22 days ago
Niantic’s Augmented Reality R&D Team is seeking an ambitious Software Engineer to push the frontiers of high-quality AR.
You will work as part of a diverse team focusing on experimental innovation at the intersection of machine learning, computer vision, and augmented reality. We balance the culture of scientific investigation with the product-led focus of the wider company. We develop cutting-edge research and deploy it to our games and platform.
We are passionate about discovery, so we’re looking for an engineer who wants to learn and deploy inventions that could help make better “adventures on foot, with others.” Niantic leads the advancement of AR and other immersive technologies, which are deployed in engaging apps for millions of users.
- Collaborate with scientists and engineers to build software systems and tools to advance R&D.
- Participate in code reviews, write tests, and build automations to ensure correctness, robustness, and quality of code.
- Work cross-functionally to deliver AR features to the Lightship platform and Niantic games.
- Advocate for best practices in software development and infrastructure with a focus on testability, scalability, and maintainability.
- Work in an agile, communicative, and self-directed manner as a member of a collaborative, interdisciplinary, diverse, and geographically-dispersed team.
- Excellent practical software engineering ability, with proficiency in Python and working knowledge of Unix and shell scripting.
- Close attention to detail and a passion for building high-quality systems and features with rigorous standards of testing.
- Expertise in automation, CI/CD, DevOps, MLOps, monitoring and cloud computing tooling, e.g. Kubernetes, Argo, Kubeflow, Ansible, Terraform, etc.
- Experience designing for and running deep learning training systems at scale, including multi-server and multi-GPU training, and managing deep learning hardware resources.
- Experience building cloud-based and/or hybrid solutions with leading providers such as Amazon Web Services, Google Cloud Platform, Microsoft Azure.
- Hands-on experience building efficient data pipelines for large-scale (image/video) processing, and strong knowledge of relevant data structures and algorithms.
- Previous experience working in a research lab or with researchers.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich. #LI-HYBRID
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.