This job might no longer be available.
Software Engineer - Pathfinding
13 days ago
Frostbite is EA's state-of-the-art multi-platform game development engine. Our global team develops creative engine features and cutting-edge tools that let our game makers create stunning games. We're honored to have thousands of game developers worldwide using Frostbite as they create some of the industry's best-known titles and amazing player experiences. Join us as we help shape the future of gaming with Frostbite.
The worldwide Frostbite team works on AI, Rendering, Animation, Physics, and other engine features used across EA games.
The mission of the Frostbite AI team is to develop tools, workflows, and runtime features that support the diverse AI and gameplay needs of game teams worldwide, such as Crowd Simulations, Character Behavior Authoring, Pathfinding, and Machine Learning.
Join us, as an AI Pathfinding SE and you will have the opportunity to work with peers from multiple game studios and the worldwide Frostbite team, to develop Frostbite's own Pathfinding and Navigation system.
Within this role, you will be able to directly influence the growth of this technology and contribute to the success of EA's biggest titles.
You will report directly to the team's Engineering Manager to help you work on your career goals.
- Design, develop, test, maintain and improve Pathfinding specific features
- Work with Game Teams to solve innovative Pathfinding problems, identify and implement new use cases for Pathfinding that would benefit them.
- Work collaboratively to provide high-quality cross-platform products in C++ in an Agile environment.
- Ensure our designs are well documented and backed up with automated testing to improve ease of use and future maintenance of our technology.
- Keep the tech up to date, with the latest Frostbite general architecture requirements.
- Work with co-located and remote colleagues and participate in technical discussions.
- Collaborate with AI leaders and Frostbite senior team members to understand customer needs and deliver incrementally, on their highest priority features and requirements.
- Fluency in the C++ language and professional experience as a C++ developer.
- Exposure to complete lifecycles of video game titles or game engine releases.
- Mastery of C++ OOP practices (algorithms, data structures, design patterns, STL extensions).
- Understanding of memory management, multi-core use, profiling, and optimization.
- Multithreaded programming and debugging experience in large, established codebases.
- Focus on software quality, performance, and testability.
Nice to haves:
- Experience with pathfinding and navigation algorithms and workflows used in video games.
- Experience with navmesh generation and query toolsets such as Recast/Detour, NavPower, or Havok.
- Interest in game AI systems and game programming in general.
- Experience with math and numerical methods.
- Experience in Agile software development.
- Basic exposure to other programming and scripting languages such as C# or Python.
The Benefits of Becoming Part of the Team
- Work in an environment with a flexible schedule and a great culture.
- Learn a massive amount of knowledge, skill sets, and professional software development practices.
- Participate in worldwide gaming-related events & conferences.
- Have your name on the credits of the triple-A games based on Frostbite.
- Have dedicated time allocated for innovation and prototyping personal initiatives.
- Be able to define personal development goals and be supported to achieve them.
- …. and of course, free EA video games.
And since we realize it takes outstanding people to make exceptional games, we offer great compensation and benefits packages and a culture that values creativity and individuality.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.