Software Engineer, Unity (Publishing Engineering)
1 day ago
Niantic's Engineering team is seeking a Unity Engineer to grow our Real World Platform and to work directly with game teams to create new real world games at planet scale. Niantic Engineering leads the advancement of AR and other immersive technologies while creating engaging apps for a user base in the billions. The Publishing Engineering team contributes to all Niantic games by building the SDK comprised of packages, tools, examples and proofs of concept and by helping the teams understand and use the platform. You will become skilled in Niantic tools, Niantic technology, and geo-spatial games. Ultimately, you will learn the engineering processes involved in taking a Real World Game from concept to global launch.
- Be self-motivated, positive, friendly, and ready to learn and teach.
- Build and extend game samples, examples and tutorials in Unity on the Niantic Real World Platform.
- Utilize leading-edge tools and systems, including advanced AR.
- Collaborate with game engineers on technical designs for spatial queries, efficient client to server communication and high availability services.
- Architect solutions that become Niantic standards for features, services, and deployments of the platform.
- Solve difficult technical problems for the games when the first line platform support cannot.
- You have a BS in Computer Science or other technical major, or equivalent experience.
- You have 4+ years of work experience with Unity on mobile devices in Android and iOS.
- You are comfortable working in multiple programming languages including C# for Unity, Java/Kotlin in Android, Obj-C/Swift in iOS.
- You can debug sophisticated projects built on Unity.
- You understand mobile app development, including app store requirements.
- You can communicate subtle technical points and can explain how game systems function.
- You have launched a mobile game.
- You understand game build pipelines, including asset pipelines and code signing.
- You are interested in geospatial games and apps.
- You enjoy helping others understand complex engineering topics
- You have experience with Gradle.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and recently released third title, Harry Potter: Wizards Unite.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.