Software Engineer, Server, Ingress
17 days ago
Niantic’s Ingress game team seeks a Server Software Engineer to build and extend our live game.
Niantic Engineering leads the advancement of AR and other immersive technologies while creating engaging apps for a user base in the billions. The Ingress team builds upon the Niantic Lightship platform to bring our augmented reality, real world game, Ingress, to our active player base.
The ideal candidate has a love for games and the ability to collaborate with Unity developers, technical artists, and game designers in order to build fun games at scale. We seek engineers with strong decision-making skills, great execution, and a willingness to learn.
You will work on all aspects of the Ingress backend server, from designing RPC protocols to writing game logic to deploying and monitoring the servers. Building systems with security and scalability in mind is a must.
- Design, build, and load test game servers using Java and Niantic's Lightship Platform.
- Debug and extend existing game systems that already operate at scale.
- Work with small team of engineers, designers, artists, and producers to deliver on a creative vision.
- Design schemas and RPC protocols for scalability, data integrity, and cost.
- Participate in code reviews, technical design reviews, and write unit tests.
- Deploy and monitor production game servers using both Kubernetes and App Engine.
- Always be thinking about our Ingress players and how to make their lives better.
- BS in Computer Science or other technical major, or equivalent experience.
- Two to five years of proven experience.
- Experience with Google Cloud or AWS.
- Fluent in Java.
- You already enjoy Ingress.
Join the Niantic team!
Niantic is the world’s leading AR technology company, sparking creative and engaging journeys in the real world. Our products inspire outdoor exploration, exercise, and meaningful social interaction.
Originally formed at Google in 2011, we became an independent company in 2015 with a strong group of investors including Nintendo, The Pokémon Company, and Alsop Louie Partners. Our current consumer titles include pioneering global-control game Ingress, record-breaking AR game Pokémon GO, and Pikmin Bloom. In November 2021, we launched our developer platform, Lightship, enabling creators to build immersive AR experiences around the globe.
Niantic is an Equal Opportunity employer. We believe that cultivating a workplace where our people are supported and included is essential to creating great products our community will love. Our mission emphasizes seeking and hiring diverse voices, including those who are traditionally underrepresented in the technology industry, and we consider this to be one of the most important values we hold close.
We're a hard-working, fun, and exciting group who value intellectual curiosity and a passion for problem-solving! We have growing offices located in San Francisco, Sunnyvale, Bellevue, Los Angeles, New York, London, Tokyo, Hamburg, and Zurich.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.