Software Engineer - Networking, Video Streaming (C++)
1 year ago
We're looking for a senior software engineer with experience with network programming. Expertise required in C++/Java, and multi-threaded programming.
The majority of the Bigscreen codebase is contained in native plugins written in C++/Java. Our network architecture is primarily peer-to-peer networking (WebRTC), backend servers (Node.js), and CDNs. Our P2P network enables data, audio, and desktop video (screenshare) streaming between users in a manner similar to Skype. We also distribute movies from the major movie studios using CDNs
You will work with our engineering team, specifically the Systems/Graphics Engineers
, focusing on implementing custom peer-to-peer architectures, audio drivers, low-latency data and video streaming (in real-time, under 50ms), and integrating with CDNs, media relay servers, DRM technologies, and more.
Experience with P2P networking, VR, or graphics programming is not required.
- Develop and optimize our peer-to-peer architecture (develop our custom WebRTC/P2P implementation, reduce latency, reduce CPU overhead, improve connectivity, etc.)
- Work on our Remote Desktop and Cloud Game Streaming features (low latency h.264)
- Implement our networking architecture on new and unreleased VR hardware platforms (such as PlayStation VR)
- Work on our CDN, media relay servers, backend servers, DRM systems, and more.
- 4+ years of experience building networking and video streaming technologies
- Strong experience with C/C++
- Experience with Direct3D 11+ on PC, and OpenGL ES on Android
- Familiarity with Windows programming and Win32 APIs
- Strong communication skills in English
- Built and shipped several products/games
- Experience working independently and collaboratively at remote companies on small <20-person teams
- Experience writing native C/C++ plugins for Unity on PC and Android
- Experience with VR graphics programming and VR compositors (ex. Oculus TimeWarp Layers)
- Experience with Peer-to-Peer networking (ex. WebRTC) and client-server networking
- Experience with real-time video encoding and video streaming
- Experience building VR apps in Unity
- Built and shipped a VR game/app on PC or mobile
Base salary ranges from USD $80k-150k based on experience and location
Equity (stock options), signing bonuses, yearly bonuses, and yearly raises are also offered in addition to the base salary
Bigscreen is a "VR movie theater"
Over the next 10 years, our goal is to build useful software for VR/AR headsets that people could use for 10 hours a day, every day, for telepresence/collaboration with coworkers, and social entertainment with friends. We believe VR/AR headsets will replace most screens (TVs, laptops, etc.) in 5-10 years.
In the next year, we will expand Bigscreen to more VR/AR headsets (ex. PlayStation) and release major product updates such as new avatars, new environments, friend systems, and new paid/premium features such as selling virtual movie tickets to premium movie showings.
Why work with us?
Futuristic Product & Mission
Work on one of the most popular VR products in the world. Bigscreen has nearly 1 million users; power users spend 20-30 hours using Bigscreen every week, making it a "killer app" for VR.
Work from home at a high-growth, high-paying tech company, without wasting hours each week commuting into an office and without uprooting your life and moving to Silicon Valley. Our team is currently in San Francisco, Nashville, Denver, Argentina, and New Zealand.
We do 2-3 retreats per year, and attendance is required. We travel to fantastic destinations around the world like Cancun, Mexico and Lisbon, Portugal. People with obligations (family/health/etc.) come for 7-9 days and some people stay longer if they can (10-15 days). It's an exciting opportunity to collaborate face-to-face and bond with the team.
Experienced & Diverse Team
We're a product-driven company. We're listening to our users, releasing frequent updates, working on hard engineering problems, and building a sustainable/profitable business with a long-term plan for the future of VR/AR.
Our founder is an experienced entrepreneur with a decade of experience in startups, engineering, and product design. Some of us have built several VC-backed tech startups. Some shipped award-winning videogames. Some of us have built lightfield rendering engines and entire game engines in the past.
Work Life Balance
As a tech startup, we work hard but we strike a healthy balance. We tend to work 5.5 days per week, and a bit more than a typical "M-F 9-5" job. But we don't work insane "100 hour weeks" or "crunch mode." We prioritize 8 hours of sleep, health/fitness, and family because we are in this for the long run and don't want to burn out.
Flexible Work Hours
Start your work day at anytime, take any breaks during the day (walk your dog, take kids to school, or cook with your family!), and end your work day at anytime. Some people take every Sunday off, and some people take time off during the middle of the week randomly. Some people start working at 7am local time, while others start working at 1pm and prefer to work late at night.
We don't measure work hours/schedule; we instead look for self-motivated people that work hard and care deeply about their work.
Big Growth, Big Salary, Big Equity
With $14 million in funding and a path to profitability, this is a long-term stable job with growth opportunities in a high growth company. We provide above-market rate salaries and a large equity (% ownership) stake in company, giving you a share in the potentially huge financial upside.
Computer hardware, VR headsets, coworking spaces, healthcare, paid leave, and more!
We strongly prefer if you are within +/- 5 hours of California