This job might no longer be available.
Software Engineer Intern - Gameplay
Irvine, CA, United States
7 months ago
Internship Term: 2020
SOFTWARE ENGINEER INTERN - GAMEPLAY
Greetings, students! We’re geared up here to offer another round of epic internship experiences in 2020. The internship program offers the opportunity to pause your studies for one summer and work side-by-side with Blizzard Entertainment employees in your area of interest, doing real work that oftentimes ends up in production. As such, we hold you to the same high standards as anybody else in the company.
Just like our gameplay experiences, Blizzard internships are a fully immersive experience. We want interns who are enthusiastic about what they want to do for a living and excited to come in every day to learn and contribute in this hyper-creative atmosphere. Being fully engaged with our team also means communicating effectively and maintaining an open mind - one that is receptive to feedback and able to adapt and grow. Your hobbies and interests can also play in your favor. Passion for technology, gaming, game development, and an in-depth knowledge of Blizzard games, products, and services will always be a plus with us, regardless of the position you’re applying for. Be passionate about who you are, be into our industry, and be willing to go all-in and embrace this opportunity to the fullest!
Blizzard Entertainment has an amazing opportunity for a gameplay programmer intern (combat, monsters, game systems, etc.) to work on the future of World of Warcraft. As an intern, you’ll be working with a team of developers to bring gameplay ideas to life. Our team is highly collaborative, and you’ll interface with designers and engineers of all disciplines as you help develop and refine the gameplay experience. The ideal student has a long standing passion for playing games, a strong aptitude for critical thinking and analysis, outstanding people skills, and demonstrated game programming experience (in the personal, educational, or professional arena).
- Currently enrolled in a college or university
- Returning for at least one more semester or quarter following the summer 2020 internship
- Able to work fulltime hours for 11 – 12 weeks at the Blizzard office indicated in this job posting between May 2020– August 2020 or June 2020 – September 2020 (group dates depend on when you get out of school)
- Authorized to work in the US
- Passion for technology, gaming, and game development
- Passion for and in-depth knowledge of Blizzard games, products, and services, especially in the Warcraft franchise
- Demonstrated game programming experience (personal or professional)
- Experience developing and debugging in C / C++
- Experience programming in at least one scripting language (Lua, Python, Perl, etc.)
- Strong mathematics background (logic, linear algebra, geometry, statistics and probability, etc.)
- Understanding of data structures and algorithms
- Interest and familiarity with at least one of the potential programming concentrations listed above
- Majoring in a related field (computer science, computer engineering, real time interactive simulation, etc.)
- Game design aptitude or previous experience working on game development projects in a game design role
- Experience working on multiplayer, online games
- It is strongly encouraged to include a link to any websites that contain your work, like github
- Cover letter
- Use cover letter to indicate which specific game programming concentrations interest you most and describe your past experience playing Blizzard games
WARNING! Applications that do not include all of the required materials will not be considered. We’re serious about this – due to the volume of applications we receive, we only have time to consider complete submittals.
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to champion an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences...ever. Join us!
Submit your application no later than December 2, 2019.