This job might no longer be available.
Software Engineer (Frostbite)
Guildford England United Kingdom
7 months ago
We are EA
At EA, we have one simple vision: become the world’s greatest games company. We are a community of artists, storytellers, technologists and innovators working in one of the most dynamic industries today. We’re building a company that thinks about player experience at every step. We are transforming for a digital future and work as one team. We take risks and we dream big. And together, we are changing the way millions play every day.
The Challenge Ahead
Frostbite in Guildford is a growing team that plays a critical role in the engine that EA has developed to empower game makers in the company. We focus on building a world-class cross-platform physics engine and features that directly drive innovation in EA’s franchises such as FIFA, Dragon Age and Battlefield. This is developed using an internal Open Source model that invites the company’s best engineers to contribute.
We are looking for passionate, motivated and talented Senior Engineers to join our high calibre team in Frostbite UK. You would be working as part of a small team, directly engaged with game teams around the globe to deliver outstanding innovation and performance on PS4, Xbox One, PC, iPhone, iPad, Android and new platforms as they emerge. The role will enable you to grow your experience and skills as well the opportunity to travel to other EA locations and work directly with studios around the globe.
For candidates with the right mix of technical experience and leadership potential, Frostbite provides a stimulating and energetic work environment where you can tackle truly exciting and rewarding projects that make real impact on the games enjoyed by millions.
What a Frostbite Software Engineer does at EA
- Collaboratively working to deliver high-quality cross-platform products in C++.
- Play your part to define and grow the engineering culture of teams within Frostbite.
- Working with product and project leaders and your team members to understand customer needs and delivering incredible value in an incremental and high impact way.
- Ensuring our designs are simple and effective with excellent workflows and features.
- Working on documentation and testing in parallel to accelerate ease of use and future maintenance of our technology.
- To mentor and coach less experienced engineers.
The next great Software Engineer needs
- Excellent commercial experience with C++.
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with team members on a common code base.
- Great communication skills to be able to work with different individuals and teams; to be able to communicate progress and results and participate effectively in technical and project discussions.
- Advanced background in real-time / time-critical systems & multiple hardware platforms – preferably game platform hardware.
- Passion for good workflows and well-architected software.
- The ability to adapt quickly and effectively to change (i.e. project, team, business-level)
- Proven ability of leadership in one or more discipline i.e. projects, technical products and/or people and teams.
Desirable skills (one or more is helpful but not required!)
- Expertise in many disparate technologies, typically ranging from front-end user interfaces through to back-end systems and all points in between.
- Low-level application programming – evidence of UNIX, Windows and/or Console OS APIs.
- WPF and other GUI design experience
- Graphics or Video experience e.g. Image Processing, codecs, OpenGL, Direct3D, DirectX etc.
- Physics domain expertise and knowledge of game physics and animation.
- Understanding of mechanics, maths and numerical methods.
- Evidence of delivering tools and workflows at an enterprise level e.g. using C# and WPF (or similar) to develop complex applications, and to empower content creators.
- Experience of Agile (Scrum) based software development management and other models
About the Frostbite UK Team
Frostbite UK is based in EA’s UK office in the centre of Guildford. It is a dynamic and creative place to work with on-site facilities including a restaurant, gym, fitness classes and numerous clubs. We have access to great benefits, including EA games, pension, health and dental care, discounts and offers, ride-to-work schemes and more. Our campus is easily accessed from the mainline train station, town centre and other local amenities. We maintain and promote a team-focussed and collaborative working environment and put a great value on our employees’ work-life balance.
Our creative work ethos rewards new and different ideas. It is an environment that attracts brilliant talent from around the globe. No matter which of our studio locations you join, you'll feel the energy and support of EA's global brand, while thriving on our world-class campuses. At EA, the excitement you feel throughout each workday is made possible by a culture that inspires you to do the best work of your career.
More about our location: https://www.ea.com/careers/careers-overview/guildford