Software Engineer, Cinematics
11 days ago
Job Title:Software Engineer, Cinematics
At Blizzard, we take pride in the infinite care and detail put into every aspect of our games and cinematics that we deliver to our players. Blizzard Animation, which creates the Cinematics that breathe life into the various Blizzard Franchises, is seeking an inventive software engineer for our R&D Team. This engineer will be responsible for creating software tools and workflows for production departments such as previz, modeling, rigging, animation, simulation, lighting etc. for all Blizzard Cinematic projects. Specifically, we are looking for a software engineer to help develop custom software tools, maintain/augment existing tools to support these departments and their asset/data flow needs. We use industry standard software to build our 3D worlds, animate characters, simulate effects and render images. You are fluent in 3D math and 3D geometry, conversant in C++ / Python and understand how data flows in a graphics content pipeline. You will need to partner with the creative artists and fellow RnD /TD engineers to build tools that scale our production processes. This is a full-time position at our Blizzard central office in Irvine, California.
Covid-19 Hiring Update: We’ve transitioned to a work-from-home model and we’re continuing to interview and hire during this time. This role is expected to begin as a remote position. We understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore possible interim options.
- Develop new 3D graphics tools as well as maintain existing software tools for production. These software tools relate to creating/manipulating/animating 3D geometry, support our asset caching pipelines using alembic/USD formats and much more.
- Partner with production artists to understand production requirements and workflows, propose and implement software tools for them.
- Maintain and Improve efficiencies of tools for our content creation pipeline which involve pre-rendered cinematics as well as in-game cinematics.
- Experience with computer graphics demonstrating software skills with respect to 3D graphics, 3D mathematics, debugging 3D problems.
- Experience may be substituted for Advanced College degree in Computer Science (or equivalent) showing coursework and projects focused on 3D computer graphics technologies related to this job description.
- Well versed in C++/Python and its usage to extend software APIs
- Passion for programming and software development on linux & windows.
- Real production experience with VFX or animation pipelines for movies/games with software tools developed in any of the following - Autodesk Maya, 3D Studio Max, Houdini, Katana
- An understanding of how technology empowers artists.
Required Application Materials
- Cover Letter which should include:
- Why are you interested in working at Blizzard?
- Indicate why you might be passionate about 3D animation, visual effects, or gaming!
Job Status : Fulltime/Staff
Blizzard Entertainment is a global company committed to growing our employees along with the business. We offer generous benefits and perks with an eye on providing true work / life balance. We’ve worked hard to foster an intensely collaborative and creative environment, a diverse and inclusive employee culture, and training and opportunity for professional growth. Our people are everything. Our core values are real, and our mission has never changed. We are dedicated to creating the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Join us!
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status.