Software Development Manager
Kano ( www.kanoapps.com ) is looking for a talented leader with a proven technical and management background to lead and mentor a team of high performing engineers to build, scale, monitor and optimize massive multiplayer online social and mobile gaming experiences.
Our goal is to build long lasting customer centric gaming experiences that have challenges and opportunities in both the business and technical realms.
You are a hands-on manager with an established background in developing high volume, high availability systems and possess strong technical ability, excellent communication skills, and the motivation to achieve results in a dynamic fast paced environment.
We offer flexible hours and scheduling and remote applicants will be considered for this position. Priority will be given to Canadian citizens and permanent residents.
You’ll be responsible for:
- Technical leadership and strategy that aligns with and drives company goals and values
- Creating and monitoring budgets for engineering projects
- Building and growing highly effective engineering teams and leaders through hiring, managing, mentoring and coaching team members
- Reporting their team's progress to the President / Leadership Team
- Creating and maintaining a strong environment of support at all levels of a project team
- Leading high throughput agile software processes with continuous delivery
- Optimizing team performance across multi-disciplinary departments
- Delegating tasks and setting deadlines to ensure team success
- Acting as a key mentor for developing talent within the company
- Accountable for teams progress and execution of engineering goals
- Ensure all project teams maintain strong alignment with Kano culture and core values
- Assisting in all stages of new project planning
- Solving problems, balancing priorities and finding solutions that fit the goals of Kano and lead to improved performance of our games
Your background should include:
- 10+ years of experience with at least 3+ years experience in a leadership role
- Proven track record of driving technical excellence
- Back-end or full stack development experience at scale
- Experience shipping consumer facing software products and/or games
- Strong understanding of OO and modern software design principles
- A strong desire to build something that people really want
- Experience leading and scaling teams, including mentoring engineers
- Extensive software architecture experience
- Experience with cloud platforms like AWS
- Experience with database architecture and design: both relational and nonrelational
- Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering or equivalent
Bootstrapped in 2008, we have been a profitable and growing game studio for over a decade. With hits like Free Rider HD and Mob Wars LCN (Top 100 grossing app on Facebook), and our recently announced FUBAR: Just Give'r , we hope to contribute to the world by connecting people through play.
Locally owned and headquartered in downtown Victoria, BC, we believe in giving small teams of talented people challenging problems and getting out of their way. That’s why we look for the best and brightest to join our team; people who have talent, vision, and commitment.
Check out this article If you'd like to get some insight into our hiring process, our employee manual to understand how and why we do things the way we do, and this fun little video for an intro to the team!
*Kano is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, medical condition, religion, marital status or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law*