Software Development Internship (Data Engineering)
2 days ago
Job Title:Software Development Internship (Data Engineering)
Software Development Internship (Data Engineering)
Demonware (Activision), Vancouver
Interns will be required to be onsite at the Demonware Vancouver office following the team's work schedule (hybrid, 3 days a week), a relocation package may be offered depending on eligibility.
Demonware is a member of the Activision family of studios. We work alongside engineers and creatives at our AAA partner studios and deliver the online and data services required by our franchises. We craft, develop, and host services for some of the world’s biggest video game franchises, including Call of Duty and Crash Bandicoot.
We are a technology company and dedicated to openness. This means collaborating to tackle problems, the freedom to talk to anyone, and the best idea wins. We take the work seriously; ourselves, not so much!
Demonware's data team is responsible for crafting the services and infrastructure that ingest the billions of events our games emit every single day. At this scale, the challenges we face empower our engineers to flex their creative engineering muscles. When we get things right the analysts, studios and developers that interact with our systems can rapidly go from question to insight without ever having to get in touch with us.
The Demonware data team also works with studios to model and instrument the things that matter. We work with our customers to ship data forward applications, ensure compliance of data produced and coordinate the quality throughout.
Big company challenges, small company culture
As a team, we solve tough problems on a day-to-day basis, and interns have a huge impact on what we do . We’ve had interns own and build key components of our production pipeline and play a meaningful role in improving the delivery of data throughout the organization.
We also like to have fun while we’re working hard. We dress casually, we have flexible hours, and we have phenomenal coffee.
The first step of the hiring process is the Data Platform & Services Internship Challenge:
- Design, develop, and support scalable and efficient data applications, tools and frameworks
- Assist in developing solutions around our big data platforms using technologies such as Kafka, Spark, Airflow, Spark-Streaming, Flink, Beam, and others
- Development of APIs & microservices to access, transform and deliver analytics data
- Collaborate closely with other engineers on the data team who are responsible for managing various aspects of our data footprint including data instrumentation, ingestion, streaming, processing, transformation, and visualization
- Creating tools to automate all the things!
We’re open to work terms of 8, 12, or 16 months. Generally, the longer the term is preferred as you get more in-depth experience.
- Comfortable with one or more computer programming languages (Python, Scala, Java, Kotlin, etc.)
- Understanding of SQL−based and relational databases
- A good grasp of fundamental algorithms and data structures
- Excellent debugging and analytical skills
- Passion for working with big data technologies
- Interest in the data creation lifecycle, from 1's and 0's to driving business decisions
- Can identify complex problems and find simple solutions
- Can clearly communicate technical concepts in plain English
- Linux/Unix command line and scripting knowledge
- Experience with distributed software development (scalability, efficiency)
- Experience working with Big Data (Kafka, PubSub , Spark, Presto, Flink, Beam, etc.)
- Experience working with AWS, GCP, or Azure cloud
- Experience with CI/CD, unit and integration testing, orchestration and containerization tools e.g. GitHub, Jenkins, Airflow, Docker, Kubernetes, etc
We’re looking for the same qualities as Joel Spolsky : “smart, and gets things done ”. For that reason, we welcome your application even if your work experience is limited and you haven’t yet built up a mile-long resume.
Please list any additional experience you have with Linux at home, any programming-related hobbies and resulting projects, any interesting school assignments you worked on, any open source involvement and a link to your code repository and/or blog.
- Complimentary breakfast, lunch, and drinks from a fully stocked kitchen
- BBQs and Lunch & Learns
- City-center office location
- Vacation allowance
- Competitive pay
- Free games
You can apply directly through your Coop office or directly apply at demonware.net
I f you are not applying through your school program, please submit your resume, cover letter (optional but preferred) and a copy of your most recent school transcripts.
As part of the application process, you'll start by completing an online coding challenge .
Once you have completed the challenge, our hiring teams will review your results and your application documents.
Below you will find the link to the Codility website where the challenge is hosted. You will need a full 135 minutes of uninterrupted time to complete the challenge.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! At Activision Blizzard, we are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you