Software Developer - Coop
Kano ( www.kanoapps.com ) is looking for a Software Developer Co-op to help drive development on one of our live games that services millions of players worldwide. This role will be responsible for development, code review, code quality, estimating and planning on Mob Wars: La Cosa Nostra. The developer will own code and features to grow and entertain our players.
Our goal is to build long lasting player-centric gaming experiences that have challenges and opportunities in both the business and technical realms.
You are a student developer with a strong technical ability, excellent communication skills, and the motivation to achieve results in a dynamic fast paced environment. You balance your technical skills with a passion for gaming and great product experiences for our customers.
While we do offer flexible hours and scheduling, this is an in-office position - remote applicants must be willing to relocate to beautiful Victoria, BC .
You’ll be working on things like:
- Working with game databases in MySQL and MongoDB
- Writing efficient and organized code using best practices and standards
- Monitoring game dashboards, logs and metrics to ensure your code is working
- Working closely with small development teams in an agile environment (Kanban or Scrum) to continuously ship code
- Working with product and creative teams to plan and execute development and releases, building towards world-class products
Your background should include:
- Knowledge of Object Oriented Programming (OOP)
- Experience with modern SQL or NoSQL databases
- Experience with web development or HTML5/JS applications
- Ability to learn quickly
- A strong desire to build something that people really want
It'd be a big plus if you have:
- Experience with games and/or development for mobile platforms
- Experience with AWS
- Working knowledge or experience with Unix/Linux
- Knowledge of relational databases and database concepts
- Knowledge of git
Bootstrapped in 2008, we have been a profitable and growing game studio for over a decade. With hits like Free Rider HD and Mob Wars LCN (Top 100 grossing app on Facebook), and our recently released Idle Distiller we hope to contribute to the world by connecting people through play.
Locally owned and headquartered in downtown Victoria, BC, we believe in giving small teams of talented people challenging problems and getting out of their way. That’s why we look for the best and brightest to join our team; people who have talent, vision, and commitment.
Check out this article If you'd like to get some insight into our hiring process, our employee manual to understand how and why we do things the way we do, and this fun little video for an intro to the team!
*Kano is an equal opportunity employer and considers qualified applicants without regard to race, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, national origin, age, disability, medical condition, religion, marital status or veteran status, or any other basis protected by law*