Site Reliability Engineer
18 days ago
PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
It is an exciting time to join SIE’s Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) team. SREs operate right at the intersection of Software Engineering and Infrastructure Engineering. The SRE team strives to make the Platform a highly reliable, scalable, operable and secure product and service.
The Network & Content Delivery team within SIE’s Platform Hosting Engineering organization provides critical services used across all platform teams to provide visibility into the performance and availability of PlayStation Network services to our players, partners, and other customers. SREs on Site Reliability Tools teams work closely with developers, operations teams, and leadership to ensure we have the right set of tools to generate, collect, analyze, visualize and alert on operational data, so we know exactly what happens across the PlayStation ecosystem and can see problems before they occur and address them as quickly as possible.
- Build, deploy and operate a combination of open-source, custom-written, and vendor provided software to provide network and content delivery capabilities across the PlayStation Network platform
- Collaborate with multiple software engineering teams to integrate solutions
- Build automation to provide self-service capabilities for on-boarding new services into the platform
- Participate in an on-call rotation to ensure 24/7/365 availability of the tools and services delivered by the team
- Equally adept at software development and systems engineering/operations
- Build, deploy, and operate services at an expert level
- Hands on experience in working with distributed systems and ‘illities” (availability, reliability, scalability, etc.) of the services
- Excellent troubleshooting skills that span code, system, and network (TCP/IP). Ability to zoom in from code to JVM garbage collection problem to packet loss in the network
- Design and provide operational and infrastructural requirements that promote uptime, speed and security at all phases of SDLC on a global scale
Required Foundational Skills
- Fluency with running distributed services at scale with performance
- Proven experience following software engineering best-practices
- In depth understanding of Unix/Linux systems internals and networking
- Experience with automation and configuration management tools
- Experience in public cloud services and deployment (AWS preferred)
- Experience deploying and supporting delivery pipelines in a large enterprise environment
- Direct experience with at least one of the following monitoring technologies: Sensu, Datadog, CA APM, AWS Cloudwatch
- Strong software development experience in one or more of these languages: Go, Perl, Python or Java
- Knowledge of the software development lifecycle with experience integrating Open Source tools
- Strong ability to tackle sophisticated issues ranging from system resources to application stack traces
- Experienced user of one or more source code management tools
- Strong hands-on experience building and maintaining infrastructure for micro services
- Experience with Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery/Deployment tools like Jenkins, Bamboo, or similar
- Experience developing tools for system configuration, deployment, and monitoring
- Strong belief in driving operational excellence with owning efficiency and automation at the core of operations
- PASSIONATE(!) desire to automate and improve everything including process improvements, standardizing tools and technologies!
- Methodical and systematic problem-solving approach
- Complete ownership of end to end solutions and handling their life cycle
- Execution oriented and results driven
- Customer and peer relationship focused with strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to thrive in a fast-paced, collaborative, team environment
- Ability to learn new skills/technologies quickly and independently
Required Specialization Skills
- First-hand experience with at-least two load balancing technologies: Akamai, NGiNX, F5, AWS ELB/ALB/NLB
- Experience with VPN tunnel technologies and implementations
- Knowledge of how TLS certificates are created, handled, and implemented
- Implementation experience with network access controls such as AWS Security Groups, ACLs, iptables
- Hands-on experience with large scale DNS primary/secondary implementations and operation
- Knowledge of conditional-based traffic routing via methods like: host headers, URI, Geo
- Experience with web protocols like HTTP and HTTP/2
- Experience with traffic shaping methods like rate limiting and connection limiting
- BS in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or equivalent experience
- 4+ years professional experience at scale
- 3-4 years experience operating network and content delivery technologies at scale
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.