Shader/Rendering Software Engineer - Cinematics
1 month ago
Job Title:Shader/Rendering Software Engineer - Cinematics
Blizzard Entertainment is seeking an enthusiastic shader development expert / software engineer to join the Cinematics team. This position reports directly to the technology team but will interface equally with the artists in helping to create animated computer generated (CG) cinematics for all development teams. We are seeking team members who are passionate about developing shaders that deliver new, cutting edge looks for our cinematics with state-of-the-art industry technology.
Our diverse productions leverage multiple renderers ranging from offline renderers including RenderMan and Redshift to real-time proprietary game engines. Our small team of shader writers architect and implement shaders and look development workflows using lighting tool and renderer APIs, OSL, GLSL, and Python. They work with relevant department and technology leads to develop artist friendly and efficient shader pipelines. This position will be responsible for achieving the creative look required by each project’s art direction, while delivering technology that is efficient and easy to use. There will be is an equal emphasis placed on the artistic and technological requirements of each project.
They will work closely with supervisors, TDs, and artists to ensure our ability to hit artistic targets and produce the highest quality images.
This role is anticipated to be a hybrid work position, with some work on-site and some work-from-home. The potential home studio for this role is Irvine, CA. However, we understand each person’s circumstances may be unique and will work with you to explore other possible options, including remote work arrangements.
• Strong knowledge of current shading and rendering technologies
• Strong knowledge of physically based lighting and rendering techniques
• Expert level experience with a shading language/shader API (Prman, Redshift, Arnold, Mantra, etc)
• Expert level experience with a shading language such as OSL, GLSL, HLSL
• Fluent in Python and C / C++
• In depth knowledge of CG / VFX pipeline construction
• A minimum of 5 years’ experience, and a proven track record of VFX / CG shader development
• Strong working knowledge of Katana
• Strong debugging skills
• Passion for creating cutting edge looks using custom technology
• Strong communicator and extremely resourceful
• Ability to promote consensus among teams
Highly Desirable Qualifications
• Katana production look development experience, scripting, and API knowledge
• Experience with volumetric shading and rendering in RenderMan
• Redshift production experience
• Experience with programming in lua
• Degree in Computer Science, Engineering or Applied Mathematics equivalent
We love hearing from anyone who is enthusiastic about changing the games industry. Not sure you meet all qualifications? Let us decide! Research shows that women and members of other under-represented groups tend to not apply to jobs when they think they may not meet every qualification, when, in fact, they often do! We are committed to creating a diverse and inclusive environment and strongly encourage you to apply.
We are committed to working with and providing reasonable assistance to individuals with physical and mental disabilities. If you are a disabled individual requiring an accommodation to apply for an open position, please email your request to firstname.lastname@example.org General employment questions cannot be accepted or processed here. Thank you for your interest.
At Blizzard Entertainment, we pour our hearts and souls into everything we create. Best known for iconic video game universes including Warcraft, Overwatch, Diablo, and StarCraft, we’ve been creating genre-defining games for millions of players around the world for more than 30 years. We’re on a quest: bring our dreams to life and craft the most epic entertainment experiences…ever. Hard work, iteration and polish go into the Blizzard “secret recipe,” but the most important ingredients come from talented people who share our vision. If that sounds like you, join us.
The videogame industry and therefore our business is fast-paced and will continue to evolve. As such, the duties and responsibilities of this role may be changed as directed by the Company at any time to promote and support our business and relationships with industry partners.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value diversity at our company. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, marital status, veteran status, or disability status, among other characteristics.
We provide a suite of benefits that promote physical, emotional and financial well-being for ‘Every World’ - we’ve got our employees covered! Subject to eligibility requirements, the Company offers comprehensive benefits including:
- Medical, dental, vision, health savings account or health reimbursement account, healthcare spending accounts, dependent care spending accounts, life and AD&D insurance, disability insurance;
- 401(k) with Company match, tuition reimbursement, charitable donation matching;
- Paid holidays and vacation, paid sick time, floating holidays, compassion and bereavement leaves, parental leave;
- Mental health & wellbeing programs, fitness programs, free and discounted games, and a variety of other voluntary benefit programs like supplemental life & disability, legal service, ID protection, rental insurance, and others;
- If the Company requires that you move geographic locations for the job, then you may also be eligible for relocation assistance.
Eligibility to participate in these benefits may vary for part time and temporary full-time employees and interns with the Company. You can learn more by visiting https://www.benefitsforeveryworld.com/ .In the U.S., the standard base pay range for this role is $101,000.00 - $186,754.00 Annual. This base pay range is for the U.S. and is not applicable to locations outside of the U.S. Actual amounts will vary depending on experience, performance and location. In addition to a competitive base pay, employees in this role may be eligible for incentive compensation. Incentive compensation is not guaranteed.
Create Your Profile — Game companies can contact you with their relevant job openings.