This job might no longer be available.
Server Software Engineer - Maxis
10 days ago
At Maxis, we thrive on outrageous thinking.
It’s the fuel that inspires the best games in the world. We’re creators and great storytellers. Our mission is not just about amazing our peers – it’s about amazing our fans. Taking risks, collaborating with each other and daring to dream big. Together, we can improve the way millions play every day.
We are looking for an experienced individual who will design, build, deploy, and run highly scalable and stable server architectures for connected functionality in our most popular games as well as our newest unannounced IP. The engineer will work as part of a game team to create and refine game server frameworks as well as contribute to the design and implementation of launch and post-launch strategies and technologies.
As a Server Software Engineer for a game at Maxis, you will:
- Help design, develop, and run fast, massively scalable, highly available game services all the way from conception to delivery to live service operations
- Work with designers, client engineering, and production teams to achieve gameplay goals and objectives that are supported by the service
- Provide solutions that address network latency, reliability, and scalability issues
- Implement security best practices and original techniques to keep user data secure and prevent cheating
- Be held to high-quality standards through technical guidance, leadership, and mentoring
- Create and run automated testing, readiness testing, and deployment plans
- Monitor the performance and costs of the server infrastructure to drive continuous improvement
- Worked on at least two live-service games that are in the market now, or 6+ years development of scalable back-end services
- Bachelor/Master’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent work experience
- Understanding of Java Server Environment and familiarity with frameworks such as Guice/Spring
- Deep experience with Cloud services like Amazon Web Services, Microsoft Azure, or Google Cloud
- Experience designing and managing service fleets based upon container technologies (i.e. Docker, Linux-VServer, Kubernetes, Apache Mesos, Docker Swarm, etc)
- Experience with Database Design and caching and usage of large datasets in both relational (MySQL, Postgres) and NoSQL (Cassandra, Hadoop, DynamoDB etc) environments
- Deep understanding of different networking technologies, protocols (TCP/IP, HTTP, REST)
- Willingness to be part of a live team, with rapid responses to emerging issues
Nice to have:
- Previous experience shipping games built with Unreal or Unity is good to have.
- Experience managing NoSQL services
- Proficiency in Linux, commands, and operating against live environment
- Conscious of server operating costs. Being aware of the cost of running live servers, and a drive to minimize them
- Ability to quickly run scripts and queries against live environment to get data or fix data when needed.