1 month ago
Server/Network Programmer| Development| London| Permanent
We’re Hutch, a mobile games developer & publisher with studios in central London, Dundee and Canada. Our mission is to build the most diverse and engaged automotive gaming community on mobile. Our games have been played by over 280 million people, with new titles in development.
We believe in putting our people first. Here you can make games without sacrificing quality time with family and friends. We strive to ensure our people are happy and healthy.
Our teams are small and empowered, they have the independence to take on creative and technical challenges together, to work collaboratively, to make great games and have fun along the way.
We believe in; Looking after our people, small empowered teams, complete transparency, test, learn repeat, community at the core and the freedom to focus on what truly makes a difference to our players.
We’re driven by our players! Come and Join the mission!
Hutch are looking for a server engineer to join the team in our central London studio, dedicated to building the next generation of cloud based backend services to power our successful mobile games. The ideal candidate will be motivated by collaborating with a team comprised of other engineers, designers and artists in a way that lets them achieve more than they would individually, with the goal of creating experiences that delight our customers. They will have experience of developing applications for a high load or high concurrency environment and be focussed on delivering robust, well-tested software.
- Designing, prototyping and developing application layer code and database schema for new gameplay systems focussing on security, scalability, high availability and high performance
- Developing new ways to guarantee the robustness of the servers via unit, integration and load testing and profiling
- Writing tools to empower designers to administrate the online services in a data driven manner
- Support other engineers through regular peer review
- Plan for the future in design discussions to make best use of technology
- Actively spend time researching new technologies and experimenting with new techniques that could be put to use in our games
- Previous and proven commercial experience as a server/network or backend developer, working in a high load environment
- Broad experience of server/network programming and principles, including database design, replication, load balancing, reliable/unreliable messaging, latency minimisation, security
- A passion for the latest Web technologies.
- Games and/or Unity experience are desirable but not essential
- A good understanding of data structures and algorithm design
- Cloud Native/distributed system design
- Distributed databases and understanding of CAP theorem
- Containerization and orchestration - Docker, DC/OS (Marathon), Kubernetes etc
- Microsoft Azure
Life at Hutch
Our HQ is in the heart of Shoreditch, central London with other offices in Dundee and Mahone Bay, Nova Scotia. We're an agile, creative team with people at the core of our values. We reward our employees with:
- Enhanced Maternity (18 weeks) and Paternity leave (6 weeks)
- Flexible working hours
- Remote working 2 days per week
- Excellent salaries
- Private health care
- Access to mental health initiatives such as private mental health coaching
- Support to learn, develop and progress within Hutch
- Free snacks and drinks
- Lots of social events, game launch parties, Friday night drinks and much more
We value diversity and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all suitable applicants. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.
Come and find out more about Hutch. We make racing games, but it’s not the only thing that drives us - https://www.hutch.io/